cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eSIM QR Code not working

Rovi
Visitor

So I just upgraded my monthly contract to a SIM Only plan and bought a Pixel 6 unlocked directly from Google.

On receipt of the new phone, I've deleted the eSIM from my existing phone (pixel 4) then ordered a replacement online through my EE (digital).

When scanning the QR code on the pixel 6, it says its invalid.

I then tried to scan it on my Pixel 4 to get service back, but its also invalid there too.

Now I have no Service so can't contact customer support.

How can I resolve this? and also, why is your website giving out non-working QR codes.

Also I tried several times, and never clicked the option to say I confirm I've downloaded it. I expect not to get charged 3 times for the faulty QR codes...

65 REPLIES 65

Glad to hear that worked, I'll try and visit an EE store today and see if I can get this resolved for myself. 

@Katie_B 

I called into my local store this morning, they were not aware of any issues and the only solution was to insert a physical SIM. They advised that until EE have a resolution this is the better option which I totally agree. I'm now up and running on my Pixel 6, great service from the team in the Coleraine store this morning!

Just a shame that it was EE that pushed me towards an E-sim when I moved a few months ago, without the swap functionality via the app this is not a simple process to switch to a new mobile! Could have understood if this was only a Pixel 6 issue on release day and some issues were to be sorted but when it didn't work on my old Pixel and EE left me with no service and no solution for almost 24 hours I am disappointed! Customer services did not have to deactivate my old E-sim until I confirmed I had successfully downloaded the new SIM.

MrSonicB00m
Visitor

Just a heads up I've just been into my local EE store and they have transferred me to a paper eSIM which has worked perfectly on my Pixel 6 Pro. Just had to scan the new QR code and it was all setup. 

Im also in the same boat. 

I have my number as an esim on my iPhone 13 Pro at the moment and today i got my new Pixel 6 .... got busy this evening setting it all up and tried to transfer over my number to the Pixel 6 ... but getting no joy at all ... even tried printing out the QR code. 

I wanted to use my Pixel 6 for my road trip tomorrow, but im guessing im sticking with the iPhone .

Any idea when this will be resolved ? Also i better have not been charged the 50p as it didnt complete. 

I actually managed to solve this myself by using the MyEE app that is on the iPhone and scanning it using the Pixel. Im guessing the MyEE apps QR code is more upto date and can be read by the Pixel. 

Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Thanks for letting us know you got this sorted, @Lustral 🙂

lukegb
Visitor

I found another workaround, which might help some people on here if you're in a pinch.

On the QR code scan screen, there's a link (I think it's "Need help?" or similar), and then a link which lets you enter the QR code data manually. This is the data starting with "1$sm-v4-010" and ending before the two "$$" at the end, if you scan the QR code with an external app. The two trailing "$$" are the thing causing this to fail.

EE is generating eSIM QR codes which are out of compliance with the GSM Alliance specification, which Google's implementation is apparently enforcing more strictly. Specifically: https://gsma.com/newsroom/wp-content/uploads/SGP.22_v2.2.pdf section 4.1 "Activation Code" Table 8 "Activation Code Structure": the Delimiters at the end 'SHALL' only be present if the optional parameters are set, which they aren't.

Great help.  Thank you.

Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Thanks for sharing this, @lukegb 🙂

Just to add to this, the way I've got this to work on the Pixel 6 Pro is:

On the Google search bar, click the icon on the right to open Google Lens. Then click "Search with your camera". Scan the QR code, and the text will appear. Copy the text string. 

Then on the screen to add an eSim, click "Need help" then paste the string into the text box, then delete the two "$$" characters on the end. It should be accepted then you can just follow the steps to activate this with a pin code validation.