cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Physical SIM to eSIM - Verified by Visa (3D Secure) Fails - Card Blocked

iainjo
Contributor
Contributor

I've had a few unsuccessful attempts to get through to technical support had to jump off after 30+ mins waiting.

I changed my physical SIM to an eSIM using the MyEE site. Went through without issue, for a while in the phone the SIM details showed a number of 0000000000 but restarting the phone it picked up the correct number for my SIM. Text, phone and data works perfectly.

Today I placed an online web order and it was denied and my Visa card was blocked. My mobile number is the one used by Verified by Visa, it didn't get that far on the order which was odd, denied and blocked before that prompt.

I got through to my bank and on their system it showed a reference "SIM Swap". They unblocked the card, we tried a few more times and still being denied. They consulted with one of their team and I explained that I had changed the SIM but that it was completed through my mobile provider. I know 3D Secure have built in validation in an attempt to stop SIM swap scams. My bank, Coop Smile, say that the problem lies with EE and that EE need to check the details have been updated correctly.

Has anyone experienced this issue and had it resolved? I will try EE again over the weekend when I have time to endure the queuing for support. 

3 REPLIES 3
Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Good morning @iainjo

I am sorry to hear you have not been successful getting through to our customer care team after waiting in the call queue. It sounds like the team were extremely busy but they will aim to answer your call as quickly as possible. 

When you have a moment please try giving us another call so our team can look into your account further. 

Katie

Long waits on customer service phone lines seem to be the norm these days, the call to my bank involved a 45 min wait on a queue.

I managed to get through to EE Tech Support straight away this morning, it pays to try first thing.

Support were very helpful, checked everything and confirmed the old physical SIM was deactivated and new eSIM fully functional, as I can confirm.

It confirmed my thoughts, that this is a bank issue. The bank did ask if I had swapped phones and mentioned that the flag on their system was "SIM Swap". I suspect I'll need to re-register the phone number with them which will then update the 3D Secure system. Then it won't think I'm on a cloned SIM. Joined their support queue so now it's a waiting game.

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for coming back and letting us know @iainjo

It's great to hear you got straight through this morning. 

Have a wonderful weekend, 

Katie 🙂