cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eSIM QR Code not working

Rovi
Visitor

So I just upgraded my monthly contract to a SIM Only plan and bought a Pixel 6 unlocked directly from Google.

On receipt of the new phone, I've deleted the eSIM from my existing phone (pixel 4) then ordered a replacement online through my EE (digital).

When scanning the QR code on the pixel 6, it says its invalid.

I then tried to scan it on my Pixel 4 to get service back, but its also invalid there too.

Now I have no Service so can't contact customer support.

How can I resolve this? and also, why is your website giving out non-working QR codes.

Also I tried several times, and never clicked the option to say I confirm I've downloaded it. I expect not to get charged 3 times for the faulty QR codes...

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
lukegb
Visitor

I found another workaround, which might help some people on here if you're in a pinch.

On the QR code scan screen, there's a link (I think it's "Need help?" or similar), and then a link which lets you enter the QR code data manually. This is the data starting with "1$sm-v4-010" and ending before the two "$$" at the end, if you scan the QR code with an external app. The two trailing "$$" are the thing causing this to fail.

EE is generating eSIM QR codes which are out of compliance with the GSM Alliance specification, which Google's implementation is apparently enforcing more strictly. Specifically: https://gsma.com/newsroom/wp-content/uploads/SGP.22_v2.2.pdf section 4.1 "Activation Code" Table 8 "Activation Code Structure": the Delimiters at the end 'SHALL' only be present if the optional parameters are set, which they aren't.

View solution in original post

65 REPLIES 65
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Rovi  QR codes just activate the esim with your number.  I think something else is the your issue.  You’ll have to call customer services about this and I wouldn’t be surprised if you need a replacement SIM card first.  

not sure why you deleted your eSIM from your old device as activating on new device will just transfer your number across. 

afry276
Investigator
Investigator

Got the exact same problem today also with the Pixel 6 Pro. Requested a new esim, EE automatically deactivated my old esim and now I have no network on either mobile. Tried to download the new esim onto my old mobile (pixel 4 xl) and it now also says 'Incorrect QR code'.

Contacted the online chat and was told to call a number for technical support. I solely rely on my mobile and do not have a landline. Now I have been told I need to go to the store tomorrow but it does look like a esim generation issue with EE...

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hello @afry276

Welcome to the EE Community. 

I am so sorry to hear this has happened. 

Please keep us updated after your visit to store. 

Katie 🙂

Same here. Just got a Pixel 6 and get the message that the QR code is not recognised.

peterfields
Visitor

Same here, have a new Pixel 6 Pro and the QR code doesn't work. There is also an option to download but it just gives a link to the myee app and doesn't seem to be anywhere in the app to download the esim.

Houpsie
Explorer

I've just been on the phone to second line technical support and they've had a lot of phone calls regarding this issue today. I've gone through all of the troubleshooting steps. They have said that 3rd line will be in contact within 78hrs. Might be worth popping into a store and getting your line transferred to a physical SIM for the time being. Can't see this being resolved quickly. 

smallfish
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I have also tried to install an esim on a Pixel 6 Pro without any success - same error message. Very disappointing.

I'll be fun when EE customers start having their new Pixel's shipped without any way to actually connect to EE!

Same here but luckily kept my esim on the other phone.  Waiting on EE to look at problem; shame as can't use new device but lucky still have use of my Pixel 5

Same problem here with the base 6.  I had to go into an EE store and using the paper version of the eSIM it worked fine.