cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are EE so expensive now ?

Wilkesy91
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Been with EE for my last 3 phones(6 years), upgraded either directly with ee or through a third party website as new customer.

Their network don’t seem to be on any comparison deal sites or third party sale sites any more. Went on to ee shop to upgrade but it seems extortionate now. Even tried new customer and couldn’t believe how much the new iPhone 13 mini is monthly.

EE are selling the iPhone 13 mini at £61 a month and that’s minimum data (2gb). Through third party websites you can get the iPhone 13 mini with pretty much every other company starting from £30 with 100gb data. So obviously I’ll be leaving but why aren’t they competing to get customers, it’s double the money. Nobody on live chat wanted to help either. What’s happened with EE, why are they driving customers away old and new? 

41 REPLIES 41

I wouldn't bother @Fordy62 . I called them around black friday when looking to rejoin. I saw a good deal with ID Mobile and called 150 to see if they'd price match. They wouldn't even budge a penny.

@wnicholson89 wrote:

I saw a good deal with ID Mobile and called 150 to see if they'd price match. They wouldn't even budge a penny.

I'm not massively surprised. At the very least EE are likely to compete with other network operators, not price-driven MVNO's.

They wouldn't budge a single penny. Not even to match the likes of 02, Vodaphone, Three or any other network.

@wnicholson89  There are only 4 uk networks and the rest are NVNO networks.   You’ll alway gets a cheaper rate on a nvno network you’ll just not get everything that’s possible like with a full network provider. 
  O2 and Voda as standard offer 36 months device contracts and 24 month tariff contract so the price seems cheaper and EE are only 24 month for device and tariff so seem more expensive.     and you think EE would of priced matched the with ID mobile,  that’s an NVNO network a network that actually doesn’t own its own network but runs on the 3 network.    

BurnCKC
Explorer

Yeah, I'll be switching too.

I got a great deal on my Pixel 5 through Mobiles Direct 2 years ago but unfortunately you now have to go through EE. 

I want 50gb data, but EE now only offer 25gb or 125gb...why nothing inbetween? I was paying £36 per month for my Pixel 5 with 50gb, but now for the Pixel 7 they want £55 for only 25gb.....no thanks !!

I even considered Sim only, but I'd only be paying £9 less than I do now....with no new phone and less data. EE can stick that where the sun don't shine.

Looks like I'll be moving to Voda too. Pixel 7 and 100gb data for £34 per month. How EE can charge over £20 more for a worse deal is beyond me.

I've only been with EE for 2 years after being with 02 for 15 years and whilst it was a good experience, I have no issues trying someone new.

Abbas_ch
Visitor

Just came across this, I’ve also been with EE for 6+ years. I also just got off the phone with EE, crazy uncompetitive offer, not worth calling 150 imo.

I think I can explain why EE is so expensive -

1. EE does have the best overall network, although that doesn’t mean much to me personally 

2. EE does have cool features like visual voicemail, Esim etc. Nothing groundbreaking for super useful for me. Certainly not worth breaking the bank during a cost of living crisis

3. Greed. This is by far the largest driver IMO. What caused it - EE removing their offers from retailers like carphone warehouse. This means there is no longer a direct comparison. You would think EE would be more competitive having ‘cut out the middleman’ but guess not! 😞 

Hi Leanne,

I may do so nearer the end of my contact. But it’s a bit of a disgrace that EE don’t just advertise their best prices. It’s nigh on fraud that ringing up and threatening to leave gets you a better deal. Car insurance legislation changed to prevent the old and vulnerable being taken advantage of with renewals and can see EE falling foul of the same. It’s profiteering and it’s shameful.  

borg620
Explorer

100% agree with OP.

I was with EE for 10+ years. And I noticed the prices going up an insane amount.

The last contract I had with them I was paying £55 a month for only 10GB of Data. It was a 24 month contract for a flagship Samsung phone.

I then moved to Vodafone. Data speeds and and network coverage all fine. 100GB data, max data speeds, 24 month contract for £35 a month for flasgship Samsung phone. So of course it makes sense to just leave EE. I did get in contact with customer services and they just said they can't offer and better price. And he just said I'd be better off leaving EE. At least he was honest.

Sorry EE, you may have the best speeds/coverage, but it's not worth an extra £20+ a month (£240+ a year).

Been with Vodafone for 2 years now and I haven't noticed any difference.

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Hi @borg620 

Out of interest, are you in the west or east of the UK?

London