cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are EE so expensive now ?

Wilkesy91
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Been with EE for my last 3 phones(6 years), upgraded either directly with ee or through a third party website as new customer.

Their network don’t seem to be on any comparison deal sites or third party sale sites any more. Went on to ee shop to upgrade but it seems extortionate now. Even tried new customer and couldn’t believe how much the new iPhone 13 mini is monthly.

EE are selling the iPhone 13 mini at £61 a month and that’s minimum data (2gb). Through third party websites you can get the iPhone 13 mini with pretty much every other company starting from £30 with 100gb data. So obviously I’ll be leaving but why aren’t they competing to get customers, it’s double the money. Nobody on live chat wanted to help either. What’s happened with EE, why are they driving customers away old and new? 

41 REPLIES 41

@Topmantommo , that is your opinion, have you looked at the cost of phones nowadays? Someone has to pay for them, and you are welcome to choose a sim only plan and one that is cheaper, you do not have to choose the most expensive either. Cost of living is going up everywhere, especially since the pandemic and lockdown.

To contact EE customer service dial 150 from your mobile phone or ring customer service for free using Skype or another phone: +44 800 079 8586 or +44 800 956 6000.
SD45
Visitor

I was looking into some things and found this topic by chance.

OP isn't wrong. I'm paying £55/month for my 5GEE Router with Ult data. But the exact same router & unlimited data from 3 is only £10/month on their website right now with a minimum 24month contract.

Definitely going to keep my EE contract, it's necessary for my (reluctant) at-home activities. But when all you need is internet and you can get it five times cheaper, it would be silly to continue paying longer than is needed. Does not bode well for EE in general per future customer retention!

andrewb101
Visitor

I'm at the end of my contract with EE and have the rest of my family with EE. I'm waiting to see if there are any Sim only deals this Black Friday, otherwise I'll take all three accounts elsewhere, as every other provider is significantly cheaper and many offering cash back deals. I'd much prefer to stay with EE but their pricing is way out of line and the limits on full speed 5g data are just ridiculous.

SwindonPhilly
Investigator
Investigator

I’ve been feeling exactly the same? I’ve been with EE since the days of Orange. I started with the old One2One network which should’ve been called One2None and coverage was pretty bad. Changed to Orange about 24 years ago and found the coverage was a lot better and the internet when it was 2G was quite fast. One year I took an old BT cell net contract out just to get a new Nokia phone but only used the sim if ram out of credit and the voicemail set up was rubbish and sometimes missed calls wouldn’t show up on phone till a few days later. When I finally moved to Orange contract at first thought their prices were much the same as the others, then a few years later maybe an extra £2-5 a month but didn’t mind as the coverage seemed the best back then and the 3G was quite fast. When 4G came out again the data speeds were really fast but since BT brought out EE, the price increases have jumped by a much more noticeable amount. But I’m due an upgrade now and was looking at the iPhone 14pro. The cheapest tariff I’ve seen was around £60 for just 5Gb. Although for 100gb it was between £65-£71 but then when you wonder why ones £6 more you realise that they have capped the 5G speed to just 100MBPS, I could get 500mbps on 4G. But I tried price comparison sites because in the past I could select to pay more upfront,  I’d happily pay upto £200 of it could lower monthly costs by around £10 at least. But nope cheapest monthly price I think was around £60. On Vodafone you can get 350gb 5G data around £190 upfront cost for around £50 a month. If I keep on looking I could probably find even better deals. Also thinking of leaving EE broadband as it’s the basic copper line broadband as you can only get Virgin on fibre, but even for copper it’s only about 14mbps at best and we’re only 900metres from the exchange and the upload seems to be capped at 0.87mbps because we have had lots of power cuts with downstairs sockets tripping the speeds will drop, but if they’ve not tripped for a few months, the download speeds do improve, but despite the router showing that the upload speed has synced to usually 1160kbps and sometimes over 1220kbps, any speed tests I do the download can be between 11-15mbps but no matter what site I use the upload never goes above 0.87mbps. To watch a five min YouTube video in 1080p, if it’s around 6pm, it can take me around 10-15 mins to watch due to buffering. So I’d connect my iPhone and bridge the 4G with the ADSL connection and normally I can watch any 4k video with hardly any buffering but after 15mins I’ll get a text from EE saying I’ve hit 80% of my data allowance which is 105GB. I always used to think that paying a little more for a reliable and fast mobile service was worth it, but I think all the networks are going to be fairly reliable these days so paying an extra £10-30 a month just isn’t worth it. I actually hope that a lot of other customers do the same, then maybe in a couple of years EE realise they need to be more competitive with just the price and not just boosting speeds in the urban areas that are already quite fast.

SwindonPhilly
Investigator
Investigator

I think since BT brought out or merged with EE (whatever), things went downhill. I’ve been with EE since they were Orange, and back then there prices were much the same as the others. A few years later as EE, they may have been around £3/month more than the others but I didn’t mind this, as I knew they were the most likely to be the first to upgrade my area to get the next generation service like 3G to 4G, but also when 4G first came out, the speeds across all networks were pretty slow, then EE upgraded and their speeds doubled, but with the LTE advanced (think that’s what it’s called) they were s lot faster than the others (I don’t know if the other networks have new faster technology but seeing speed tests on YouTube, it seems the others are offering similar speeds and on few occasions even faster). But even if other networks are slower, as long as the speeds allow me to be able to watch YouTube videos in 4k without loads of buffering and download games in just a few hours, not leaving PC on all night, then I think I’d rather pay upto £30 less a month and still get upto 3.5 times as much data allowance (could possibly get even more if I keep looking around)

wnicholson89
Contributor
Contributor

Fair enough to those saying that EE have never claimed to be price driven. However, this doesn't answer the question. Why are they so expensive now? Especially in comparison to other networks. I was with EE for over 10 years and left them a year ago when my contract was up. Was considering returning but prices are through the roof.

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @wnicholson89

Thanks for coming back to the community. 

Please see our Why EE? Help page for benefits of joining EE again. 

Leanne.

No thanks Leanne. 🙂
Fordy62
Investigator
Investigator

I love the passive aggressive tone of those backing EE in this… brilliant. 

2 years ago I took my contract with EE out at £29/month for what was the latest phone. Looking at upgrade options now for comparables I’m being offered £61/month. 

EE have got greedy. And it’ll be to their detriment. 

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Fordy62

If you would like to discuss your options please give us a call on 150. The team will see what is available for your upgrade. 

Thanks. 

Leanne.