cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Samsung S10 5G network locked

Jmellis86
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello,

I bought a Samsung S10 5G directly from Samsung Liverpool One in August 2019. I paid it outright. I put our EE SIM (SIM only pay monthly) in and used it until April 2021.

Due to a screw up with the billing team, we decided to leave. Moved over to Virgin Media. Put the VM SIM in and a message prompts that I need to enter a network lock code.

I filled in the form but the IMEI is not recognised. 

I used chat to help out. Still waiting over a week later. Called EE and asked them to look into it. The agent could only email his colleague and wait further.

Anyway, he mentioned that if they can’t unlock it I would then, need to find a 3rd Party.

My question now is. Why is EE locking my privately owned phone and why would I need to go to 3rd party? I mean, it’s my phone and EE decided to lock it down and brand it their own.

I would also like to know, will EE cover the cost from the 3rd Party? Since EE is responsible for locking the phone in the first place.

That is all for now. Thanks.

29 REPLIES 29
Jmellis86
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Just to follow up on this. Samsung state on their website that they do not lock any device. The network locks it and I must contact the network and not Samsung.

Source: https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/i-inserted-a-new-sim-card-and-now-it-is-asking-me-...

Hi @Jmellis86

Welcome to the community.

When you buy your own phone some of them will lock to whatever network SIM is put in it first. This is common practice across most UK networks. 

It can take up to 10 working days to unlock a phone. When was it you first placed the unlock request?

If the agent you spoke to has emailed to chase this up then they should get back to you once they have an answer.

Thanks.

Chris. 

Dear @Christopher_B ,

Thanks for the prompt response.

I would like to address, in the Terms and Conditions, there is no mention of locking the device that is owned outright. It does, however, state that any device provided may be locked. In that case, it excludes me. 

Also to mention, Ofcom details are also vague in this field. It mentions if the device was bought from the network, but no mention of the device was bought outright. Furthermore, it outlines the policies which bring it back to the T&Cs.

Source: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/advice/mobile-phone-locki...

My understanding is, EE decided to do its own thing. This is not common practice. More like an unwritten rule.

It was 10 days ago. I will wait until Monday. 

I wanted to discuss this and find out the real process. There are some questions still left open, such as where do these codes come from? Looking online, some people are having to wait 30 or more days. Samsung state it is nothing to do with them. EE needs to "make" enquiries to get these codes. From where? If EE Set the lock. Why does it take so long? Some forums detail that 3rd Parties get codes from the network provider and either work for a network or know someone at the network. Seems sleazy to me. 

@Jmellis86 This doesn't happen with all phone, just some.

We've already got most codes, however there are some that take anything up to 10 working days for us to get from the manufacturer and then email or text to you.

I promise you we will always do this as fast as we can. 

Thanks.

Chris

Hi @Christopher_B ,

Just an update for you and community.

I received a text stating that the phone is already unlocked and I may now enter the new SIM.

I did this and now I am prompted for something called MCK.

How many levels of locking down does EE do? What is the purpose of locking the privately owned phone so thorough? 

A Samsung representative informed me over the phone that neither the Network Lock Coes and Master Code Key have anything to do Samsung. When I asked where these codes come from, the response was very grey. There is some sort central database for network providers.

My assumption is, it’s like a repository. Listing various claimed IMEIs with various statuses like network, black listing etc. This repository or database rather is probably only accessed by “some” network providers. 

Hopefully, I get the ownership to my phone back very soon otherwise it will look like EE will be supplying a replacement phone.

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Jmellis86

if you are being asked for an MCK code, this should be provided by the manufacturer. This may be needed if the unlocking code has been entered incorrectly.

Once you have this and the unlocking code we have provided, you will be able to use other network SIM cards.

You can find information in our How do I unlock an EE device to use with another network, Help page.

Thanks. 

Leanne.

Jmellis86
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @Leanne_T ,

I appreciate the feedback. But just to inform you on the main frustration, the device should never have been locked by EE to begin with. It was never supplied by EE. I bought it outright from Samsung. 

I have been in touch with Samsung today at approx 12:45pm. They cannot supply the MCK code. 

An EE SIM works in the handset. But not VM. I think it’s clear which provider has imposed on the lock!

More than likely I’ll have to wait another 10 days form today…

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Jmellis86

I am sorry to hear this. 

Can I just check, have you been given an unlock code from us? or did you get advised the phone was unlocked and to try the other network SIM?

Thanks. 

Leanne. 

Jmellis86
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Dear @Leanne_T ,

The message is the following:

Hi from EE, Your phone is already unlocked so you can put your new SIM card in and start using it now. You will not be charged for this request. Thank you, EE.

No code was supplied but I had a chat with the "Chat" and your colleague has forwarded another email to the Unlocking Team. An MCK was requested.

I don't think you need to do anything further at the moment @Leanne_T . I will await a response. Though, if there is anything you can do, perhaps have some senior verify that the correct steps have been followed and that we can successfully unlock the phone. 

Should it be needed due to doubt, I have all documentation of where, what and when the device was purchased.