by
EE Community Support Team

Spam and phishing - How to stay safe and report it

Sick of receiving spam texts, emails or calls? In this article we'll talk about how to recognise spam and what you can do to help combat it.

saved.file.jpg

What is spam? 

Spam is the use of electronic messaging systems to send an unsolicited message. This can take the form of an email or text message.

Spam is usually more of an annoyance than a security risk, but it's important to make sure you don't reply to any spam messages or click/tap any links in the message.

Replying can let the spammers know that your email/mobile number is active, and any  links in the message could be used to collect details from your computer/phone, install malicious programs or redirect you to explicit web pages.

How should I report spam? 

If you receive spam emails, you should mark them as spam in your inbox. This will alert your email provider and will usually block the sender from contacting you in future.

If you receive a spam text, please forward the message to 7726 (letters S.P.A.M on your keypad). If you're not sure how to do this, please tap reply below and let us know what phone you are using.

You can also report unsolicited calls to the same number. Just text 'call' followed by a space, then the number that called.

What is phishing? 

Phishing scams are emails, texts or other messages made to look and sound like they've come from a trusted company and are designed to get hold of your personal information. Phishing by text message is often referred to as 'smishing'.

Phishing texts or emails can be difficult to recognise, but watch out for website addresses that start with 'http' rather than 'https' and poor spelling or grammar in the message.

If you have any doubts whatsoever, don't follow any links in the message; use your usual bookmarks or find the genuine website via a search engine.

How do I report phishing scams? 

If you receive a message claiming to be from EE and you're not 100 % sure it's genuine, please send it to phishing@ee.co.uk for email or 7726 for texts. 

For more information please see How to avoid and prevent spam, phishing and fraud.

How do I report unsolicited marketing calls?

You can also report marketing calls to 7726. Just text the word call followed by the number that called you.

118 REPLIES 118
by wendyjo
Explorer

Has anyone else received a spam phone message re their account not being paid?

Warning - Spam message received tonight from +447342924407 which said 'EE-we have been unable to process your latest bill.  In order to avoid fees please update your billing information via......and a link was given.  My bill has been paid and I'm up to date.  DO NOT CLICK AND GIVE YOUR BANK INFO!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Has anyone else received a spam phone message re their account not being pai

Hi @wendyjo 

If you used the search you would see that many people have reported the same message. Just delete it. 

This spam is hitting EE customers hard over the last couple of weeks. As the number changes there isn't much EE can do to stop it.

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by wendyjo
Explorer

Re: Has anyone else received a spam phone message re their account not being pai

Thank you.  Only just joined the forum so hadn't searched.  Appreciate your reply.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@wendyjo 

EE would never send any text or email which asks for your details. If you are ever unsure about any text or email just delete it. 👍🏼

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Don't go there but what was the link it asked you to go to?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by wendyjo
Explorer

I have deleted the message now and didn't make a note of it.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

OK.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by DJSuperEd
Visitor

I have rec'd a scam text from +447751447675 asking me to update my billing info

The message reads as follows - EE:We were unable to process your latest bill. In order to avoid fees, update your billing information via: http://ee-update.ref083.com?ee=2

My last bill at the end of Aug was paid by DD, and this is clearly a scam trying to get my bank a/c details.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: I have rec'd a scam text from +447751447675 asking me to update my billing i

Hi @DJSuperEd 

If you search the forums there are a number of these text about. Just delete them. 

Thanks

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: I have rec'd a scam text from +447751447675 asking me to update my billing i

It's a scam! There are many of these going the rounds. EE would never send you a msg asking you to click on a link in order to update your a/c.

Report it to EE by forwarding it to 7726 (S.P.A.M. on your keypad).

That domain, faked to look like EE, was only created today in Malaysia.

by astott77

Re: Spam and phishing - How to stay safe and report it

I kept receiving phone calls from a 0151 601 6853 /6878 /6856 /6850 number that kept changing each day. I finally answered to try and get rid of them as was becoming very irritating as calls at any time of the day. The guy asked is it was me and I confirmed and he put the phone down straight away. I am concerned that they now have my details and lord only know what these people can do to you and your account.?!!!!  Has anyone else experienced this?

by

Hi @astott77,

Welcome to the EE Community. 

I'm sorry to hear you are receiving nuisance calls.

I would recommend registering your number with the Telephone Preference Service which can help reduce unsolicited marketing calls.

Hope this helps.

James

by KL19 Investigator
Investigator

Text Message Scam

I received a false text message from a number +44 7598 433 953 that includes a link to ‘up-date my billing info’. 

this is the message: 

EE:We were unable to process your latest bill. In order to avoid fees, update your billing information via: https://ee-update.ref238.com?ee=2 

The EE should send out information how to avoid these messages and how to know that the tex comes from EE. It’s easy to make a mistake and click on the link. 

Take care! 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Text Message Scam

@KL19 : Yes, it's a scam! There are many of these going the rounds. EE would never send you a msg asking you to click on a link in order to update your a/c.

Report it to EE by forwarding it to 7726 (S.P.A.M. on your keypad).

That domain, faked to look like EE, was only created 3 days ago in Malaysia. Browsers are already warning it's deceptive.

by

Re: Text Message Scam

Hello there @KL19

Welcome to the community.

That's great advice from @XRaySpeX, you can report this by forwarding the message to 7726

Once reported our team will be able to get this URL and number looked into.

I would also recommend deleting the message and not clicking on any of the links within the text.

You can find some useful tips on staying safe online in Spam and phishing - How to stay safe and report it.

Leanne 🙂

by CR4
Explorer

received a text from 447510547648 saying ee unable to process latest bill and to avoid fees tap below - i have not done this 

by

Good Afternoon @CR4

Thanks for flagging this with us. 

You have done the right thing by not clicking on an unfamiliar link. 

I would recommend reporting this by forwarding the text to 7726 and then deleting from your phone. 

Katie 🙂

by CR4
Explorer

Have done, thank you

Sent from my iPhone
by Albabes21

Re: Fake "EE" SMS Messages

Yes I too had a text message and knew it was fishy as text was under a phone number.... also knew there was nothing wrong with my bills or payments as check regularly... it is worrying how this happens and frustrating that we can’t report it or send to fraud investigation.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.