cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Strange ping issue - bad routing?

HazNut
Visitor

Hi,

I recently moved into a new flat with my friend, and we are on Fiber Plus broadband without a landline.

I've been trying out League of Legends recently on my PC, and every time I connect to a match, it either decides to get stuck at about 27 ping, or 37 ping. Previously with a powerline adapter it was a bit higher, as expected, but now I'm connected via a 12m ethernet cable.

The strange thing is, each time I connect/reconnect to match, it will either go to 27 or 37 ping (or about that number). It doesn't seem to go up/down to those values across the course of the match. So it seems like sometimes, an unoptimal route is being taken to their server.

Their server I think is based in Amsterdam (104.160.141.3), although it doesn't seem to respond to pings, and traceroute doesn't go all the way.

I tried using a VPN, and I actually get 20 ping using NordVPN's London server. Now I know I shouldn't be getting better ping while connected to a VPN - I'm no expert on this stuff but I guess it's a routing issue.

I've already emailed the last guy I spoke to about a separate issue, although this seems like one of those issues that isn't big enough to be resolved, and kind of hard to explain... My main concern is that this could potentially happen with servers from other games.

Obviously 37 ping is playable, but it would be nice to see if there's anything that can be done to get an optimal ping consistently.

1 REPLY 1
Christopher_B
EE Employee

Hi @HazNut

I hope you're well and having a nice day, are you up to much or just having a chilled one? 

I'm a gamer myself so I know how the smaller details can make a difference. 

The best thing to do is have a chat with our home broadband team so they can look into this with you. 

Thanks 

Chris