cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

How to use IPv6 from Huawei CPE Pro 2 with my own router/firewall

cmsdloma
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

How to use IPv6 from Huawei CPE Pro 2 with my own router/firewall?  I want to use static IPv6 addresses if possible (turn off DHCP on the CPE Pro).  I have pfSense, but the question applies to any 3rd party router used behind the CPE Pro.

I found the WAN IPv6 address in Device information, and I *think* I know the others from fiddling with tracert:

fe80::96e4:baff:fea2:f559 (link local)
fd94:e4ba:a2f5:5900::1 (unique local?)
2a01:4c8:1c04:74b1:96e4:baff:fea2:f559   (WAN)

Can anyone please advise me what kind of static IPv6 address I should set my internal router to, to allow it to forward all traffic to the CPE Pro?  I tried:

fd94:e4ba:a2f5:5900::253

and I am able to ping the router on:

fd94:e4ba:a2f5:5900::1

but I can't ping any Internet IPv6 addresses at all, such as:

2a00:1450:4009:822::2003

I'm not sure if it's a routing issue, or something to do with pools/prefixes.  I've watched some IPv6 tutorials but I'm still scratching my head.  I don't know how to set this up.

Please, can anyone help?  It'd be much appreciated 🙂

Thanks,
Dave

2 REPLIES 2
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@cmsdloma  You can not use a static IP address with a cellular router just like a mobile phone.  It’s just not possible. 

mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @cmsdloma ,

The best reference I'm aware of is the one below. In principle, if you are allocated a prefix, you could use IPv6 addresses under that. If only a single IPv6 address is assigned, routing would be required.

The latest thing I observed was that on a Netgear MR1100, setting IPv4v6 did not assign any IPv4 address but only an IPv6 address which blocked my further testing with opnsense due to lack of a fallback option.

https://github.com/jamesmacwhite/hh70-ee/wiki/IPv6-support

For the avoidance of doubt, the OP is enquiring about setting a static IPv6 address in the LAN. Ideally, the upstream router needs to support IPv6 on the LAN for routing to have a good chance of succeeding.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net