cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

How do i find out if someone else is using my router to surf internet?

treez
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi,
I have a 4GEE Broadband Wifi account with a home router Model B625-261
Its a 4GEE router-Q57Z

It has the Wifi password and Web UI pasword written on the back. I have tried to scribble these out but its difficult to do completely, as its written hard on the plastic.

I am a bit worried that somebody (say a previous tennant of my flat), may have broken in to my flat with a spare key that they might have had and copied down my router password, and possibly have been surfing the internet on my account?

I think this because the other day the router disconnected from the internet and wouldnt re-connect. I then phoned up EE and she said i had possibly downloaded too much data..........i am surprised about this because i just listened to a few songs on youtube...not that much downloading at all.

...Anyway, she told me to reset the router....which i did, and then the internet was working again....a few days later, the same thing happened again...but i turned the router off , then i went off to work, then came back, turned the router on and it was working OK again.......its been working fine ever since.

But do you think someone may have been surfing on my account? How can i check the useage times, so i can check if someone else is using my router?

6 REPLIES 6
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@treez  That person would need to be connected to the router to surf the web.  Your account is not accessible via the router or by knowing the password of the router.   

why don’t you login as an admin user of the router and change the password. 

Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @treez 

Just change your router password. 

If you need to reset you will need your original password so take a photo and store it somewhere safe.

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.
treez
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Thanks,

Is the following where i should change the  passwords?...

https://ibb.co/YjqJWjL

On the back of the router, there are 2 passwords.

One is the "Wifi password"

One is the "Web UI Password"

There is also an IP address on the back of the router.

When i log into the router by putting the IP address into the screen, then i have to enter my "router login".

(I actually did try and change the passwords in the above linked screenshot, to a  12 character password, but it objected, seeming to say that the password was not secure enough.....but it contained letters, numbers and a special characters...so i guess it was advising me to have capitals in there aswell?)

The following page seems to say that if i change the password, then they just get changed back when someone presses reset on the router.?..so if someone is breaking into my room, with a spare key from a previous tennancy, then they can just press reset and there good to go and surf internet via my router?

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Broadband-home-phone/Changing-Your-WiFi-Password-on-a-Smart-Hub/td-p/8...

You'd also have to be within wireless range of your router, in order to connect to it.

WiFi has a fairly short range in the grand scheme of things. Changing the password really is the best solution as already suggested.

chistery
Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

You obviously need to change both passwords, but remember you will get disconnected when you save the new wifi password, and need to reconnect with the new password. You'll also need to update every device that uses the wifi with the new password.

treez
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

[quote/]You'd also have to be within wireless range of your router, in order to connect to it.[/quote]

Thanks, yes, its a student type of flat block, and the previous tennant may have had a spare key, and  after they moved out of my room where i live now, they may  have passed the key  on to a mate in the flat block , who can then access my flat when i am not in. (and get the passwords).....and indeed , their room would be near enough to access my router  signal from their room...once they have the passwords etc.

Thanks, i will change the passwords