cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Upgrade router to Wi-Fi 6

Moor01
Visitor

I have the smart hub, which from what I can see is just a rebadged brand smart hub, and I’m looking to upgrade it to get a better home WiFi network. I have done a fair bit of research but I’m still at a loss to a final solution.

nearly all Wi-Fi 6 routers are not adsl and require me to use the EE hub as the modem and connect the router to it, this leads to the issue of double nat’s, I’m not really sure if this is an issue for me or not. Some reports show that it’s not possible to do this too, confusing me further.

Is there a solution to this problem and can anyone recommend a router that will do what I want?

I want to future proof hence me looking at Wi-Fi 6, however if a lesser product will do what I want then that would also be acceptable.

3 REPLIES 3
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

As an alternative view, I just happen to be watching the Weakest Link - the weakest link in home broadband tends to be the broadband line - you mention ADSL which gives a max speed of 24Mbps, but  DSL 80Mbps or G Fast 160Mbps.

Even WiFi n is faster than DSL, and current routers such as the supplied Hub are ac, faster still.:

Generation/IEEE Standard Maximum Linkrate Adopted Frequency
Wi‑Fi 6E (802.11ax) 600 to 9608 Mbit/s 2020 6 GHz
Wi‑Fi 6 (802.11ax) 600 to 9608 Mbit/s 2019 2.4/5 GHz
Wi‑Fi 5 (802.11ac) 433 to 6933 Mbit/s 2014 5 GHz
Wi‑Fi 4 (802.11n) 72 to 600 Mbit/s 2008 2.4/5 GHz
(Wi-Fi 3)* 802.11g 6 to 54 Mbit/s 2003 2.4 GHz
(Wi-Fi 2)* 802.11a 6 to 54 Mbit/s 1999 5 GHz
(Wi-Fi 1)* 802.11b 1 to 11 Mbit/s 1999 2.4 GHz
(Wi-Fi 0)* 802.11 1 to 2 Mbit/s 1997 2.4 GHz

Some may say WiFi 6 only offers an advantage with full fibre and for better WiFi performance around the home a mesh system may be a better option.

EssexBoyEE
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Ive had WiFi 6 running on my Huawei 5G Router for some time now, and although I have a mix of WiFi6 Devices and non WiFi6 scattered around and in use over time I cannot honestly say it blows me away at all or more to the point I actually notice any difference, even with Downloads or High end Streaming.

I'll go a bit further and would say don't spend anymore than you need to just for WiFi6, use the effort instead in improving your Router positioning and  WiFi Coverage if needed.

pip11
Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

If you want to future proof then the way to go is separate modem-router. The future is FTTP where the ONT (Optical Network Terminal) takes the place of the modem and you carry on without having to make any changes in the router.