cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

4g router and unlimited data sim

Dowzerr
Investigator
Investigator

Hi all. I realise this has been asked a few times before but I am looking for a definitive answer. 

I'm looking to replace my crap home broadband with a 4g router and unlimited data sim. My phone is on EE with decent speeds so I'm looking at getting an unlocked TP Link 4g router or similar and an unlimited data sim. EE do 4g routers and plans but they seem very expensive compared to Three etc.

Will getting an unlimited data sim work? E.g no issues with it not being in a phone? 

4 REPLIES 4
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Dowzerr : Yes, you may use a data SIM in a mobile router. EE can't stop you. It would be against Net Neutrality rules.

However remember that "unlimited" with EE means a FUP of 600GB pm for personal use. 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @Dowzerr ,

From a technical perspective, there is no issue using a mobile phone SIM in an unlocked mobile router.

Please see below link for a list of networks which don't permit their SIM to be used in 4G routers.

Whether those terms in the contract would be enforceable is a separate matter and probably not one we would want to spend money fighting in a court of law.

I would recommend to avoid being in breach of any contact terms, irrespective of whether they are permitted to exist or enforceable, unless you have deep pockets.

https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/unlimited-data

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

Thanks for the info @mikeliuk

Thinking about getting TP Link MR6400 and using the EE 160gb per month for £20 but worried 160gb won't be enough. 

Hi @Dowzerr ,

I recommend to call your current internet provider to ask your average and highest internet data usage in a month.

Virgin Media frequently told me my household usage was around 300 GB per month and tried to upsell me on more expensive contacts.

Currently I have a 200 GB per month contract but the Reserve Data is pretty important as I require perhaps 20 GB to 90 GB above that per month.

If you have two or three data users frequently at home, unlimited data is likely to be better for you as Reserve Data capped at 2 Mbps is pretty painful. Disney+ in HD is just doable.

Hopefully that model of router is mains powered or can function without a battery to be suitable for always on usage.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net