cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Bridge old ee router Brightbox 1(r)

Moka
Investigator
Investigator

Hi I am trying to bridge my old ee router with my new Fiber router to get better wireless connection in the house but still didn’t manage I gave the old router the same password as the primary as well the channel and changed the ip /gateway to a ip  address in the range of the primary 

but after all don’t know how to get the router to log on the primary and provide internet

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @Moka 

Please read this thread (and link) as this will likely solve your problems.

Credit to @XRaySpeX if this works. 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @Moka 

Please read this thread (and link) as this will likely solve your problems.

Credit to @XRaySpeX if this works. 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.

Hi 

I did read it before I wrote my question but as I understood from this thread is when you connect the router to the primary by cable I am looking to connect it by wireless.the primary router is connected with cable to telephone socket and trying to connect the old router wirelessly to it and get and get internet/printer excess in other half house where the primary router doesn’t cover 

As far as I know you can't connect the secondary router wirelessly. You could try connecting them by Powerline extenders over the mains electricity circuit.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

I think you can as I change the router from adsl mode to bridge mode and in this mode it should work just some details I am missing 

I don’t know how to write a comment that ee help service should step in to help out.

You've already tried Bridge mode as per my article and it didn't work wirelessly. There are no other router settings to make it work.

Your posts here are not read by CS in the normal run of things. Anyway running a subsidiary router on top of their supplied router is beyond their ken. 

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi @Northerner and @XRaySpeX,

Can I ask how the two articles are related? The article you indicate here is regarding a brightbox 2. are you saying bb1(r) and bb2 have the same settings in some way? Can you please be more specific.

Can you use brightbox 1(r) as a bridge, or not?

If so, please can you provide details as to how you you can. If the details are the same please post them here. Please ammend them if they are different. 

I am looking at my settings and not seeing similarities between bb1(r) and bb2. I do not believe you can use the bb1(r) as a bridge.

Thanks, 

T

@Tom199 :

1. The thread that @Northerner links was asked about using a BrightBox 2 as a secondary bridged router connected by Ethernet to the main router, but does apply equally to any BrightBox.
  2. This thread was asked about using a BrightBox 1R as a secondary bridged router connected by wireless to the main router, but does apply equally to any BrightBox. This has not been found possible for any BrightBox.

All BrightBoxes have more or less the same settings except the BrightBox 2 has more extensive WiFi settings which does nor come into them being used as secondary routers.  All of them can be used in "Bridge" or "Router" mode.

These settings can be seen in the referenced article To make a second Brightbox as a WAP on your LAN to the main Brightbox which, in fact, I implemented using a BrightBox 1 as the secondary bridged router:

2. Set Broadband Type of Secondary BB = Fibre/Ethernet for a BB1 or Ethernet for a BB2 (untick the "Enable ADSL/Fibre auto sensing" 1st), under Basic Settings.
  3. Set Protocol of Secondary BB = Bridging, under Basic Settings.