cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Using Fibre Plus with my own router.

charleshking
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

I'll be moving to EE from BT shortly, on a Fibre Plus Broadband without landline contract. 

I understand that that'll come with an EE Smart Hub, which is arriving shortly.

I'd like to use my own router, which will be an Asus RT-AC5300 (arriving shortly, too).

I've spent some time researching in the forums here, and I think I've got most of the info that I need, but I have a couple of outstanding questions:

I understand that, unlike the old BrightBox, the Smart Hub won't function as a simple modem, is that right?

If not, what is the correct way to configure the Smart Hub as a modem, to use with the AC5300?

If that is right, what is my best option for using the AC5300, e.g:

- use the SH as a bridge to the AC5300?  How to avoid double NAT?

- use the old BT Home Hub 5 as a modem only (not 100% sure that's possible)?

- purchase a second hand OpenReach modem from eBay?

- purchase some other ADSL2+/VDSL modem/router and use it in modem-only config (e.g. Asus DSL-n16 N300) - if so, any recommendations?  What specs do I need for Fibre Plus?

I realise that's a wall of questions, but I'd really appreciate any pointers you folk can give.

Many thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
pip11
Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

If you have purchased a VDSL FTTC connection (up to 80mbps) I personally go with a Openreach modem off Ebay. Saves a lot of faffing about.

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master
  1. The Asus RT-AC5300 incorporates no modem. The SH can't be run as Modem-Only mode. Therefore by using both the SH can only act as a modem router & thus you can't avoid the double NAT.
  2. Dunno about BT HHs but believe they are much the same in this respect.
  3. The cheapest option would be to buy a 2nd-hand OR VDSL modem.
  4. The SH + the Asus could be replaced by any ADSL/VDSL modem router. The Asus DSL-N16 would do the job & probably be the cheapest (I got 1 off eBay for £10) but the Asus DSL-AC68U is the preferred model.
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

If you have purchased a VDSL FTTC connection (up to 80mbps) I personally go with a Openreach modem off Ebay. Saves a lot of faffing about.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm assuming that what I have ordered is VDSL FTTC - it's certainly fibre to the cabinet, not the premises, and given that it's Fibre Plus without a landline, I guess that makes it VDSL?

I'm getting the impression that a second hand OR modem is likely my way forward (unless the Smart Hub can outperform the ASUS RT-AC5300, in which case this is all moot).

1. The Asus RT-AC5300 incorporates no modem. The SH can't be run as Modem-Only mode. Therefore by using both the SH can only act as a modem router & thus you can't avoid the double NAT.
  2. Dunno about BT HHs but believe they are much the same in this respect.
  3. The cheapest option would be to buy a 2nd-hand OR VDSL modem.
  4. The SH + the Asus could be replaced by any ADSL/VDSL modem router. The Asus DSL-N16 would do the job & probably be the cheapest (I got 1 off eBay for £10) but the Asus DSL-AC68U is the preferred model.

Thanks for your reply - most helpful.

1, and 2 - that's what I feared 🙂

3 - that's what looks the most likely best course!

4 - if I were starting from scratch, something like the DLS-AC68U would be the way I'd go, but I've been given the Asus RT-AC5300 for free so I'm going to have a stab at making that work (I'm hoping it'll outperform the Smart Hub in my somewhat tall and convoluted house). 

Incidentally, reading up on the ASUS DSL-N16 N300 last night I got the impression it can't do modem-only: is that your experience?

Thanks for being so helpful - if and when I get myself up and running, I'll come back and document what I did - otherwise, I may well be back with more questions 🙂

VDSL is a flavour of FTTC. The alternative is G.Fast with sync speeds up to 330 Meg, which you won't have.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

It's possible that the Asus DSL-N16 can be made Modem-Only by WAN > Internet Connection > Advanced > Basic Config > WAN Connection Type = BRIDGE but I haven't had cause to try it.