by PRS Contributor
Contributor

Re: How do I connect a second Bright Box 2 to a first BB2 in order to extend wit

@ACW342 @XRaySpeX

Thanks again for your help; that must have taken ages ACW.

I had partial success the other night by altering the order of the changes; by disabling the firewall on the secondary first I could keep accessing it for a while and changed the other settings, (it was accessible on 192.168.1.2) but internet was never available through the secondary and settings access was lost soon after...

I'll do another reset and go through the process in full again when I get some time tonight.

I will also try with wireless dissabled on both so as to get the configuration correct in its simplest form.

by ACW342 Contributor
Contributor

Re: How do I connect a second Bright Box 2 to a first BB2 in order to extend wit

PRS,
Many apologies, despite my checking a typo (VERY IMPORTANT Typo) slipped through. Thanks to xrayspex for spotting it. In the secondary router under DHCP>Gateway>Gateway address, this should read 192.168.1.2

Again, apologies for a wasted evening

A342
by PRS Contributor
Contributor

@ACW342@XRaySpeX

I had another look last night and though I didn't have time to run trhough everything completely, I did notice this apparently significant disparity right at the start.  You wrote:

Primary
Select “Advanced” and read the warning, select “Next”

Broadband Settings
Broadband Type: Select Ethernet - click to enable ADSL/Fibre out sensing

I thought the broadband setting for the Primary router would have ADSL selected (but Ethernet/Fibre selected on the Secondary router).  Can you please confirm?  (I'm just on standard ADSL, through the phone line, with a filter).

I'll try again tonight...

Thanks, PRS

by PRS Contributor
Contributor

@ACW342

Don't worry, no time was wasted with the Secondary router gateway address - understand it's different from the primary.

PRS

by ACW342 Contributor
Contributor

PRS,
I don’t really have the knowledge levels that some on this community have. However, that said, looking at the physical setup under my desk is this:- (Forgive me, this may appear to be a bit long winded)Ethernet cable from Mac to Brightbox2 (BB2), similarly from Dell mini to BB2, Powerlines from TV and Shed router also ethernet into BB2. Now that’s all going in, (along with Wi-Fi) from the NETWORK and coming out on a grey wire from a port on the router marked DSL to an Open Reach Box. The upper socket is for the DSL cable and the bottom is for the phone line. I’m lucky, this the house master phone socket, with no extensions).

This says to me that for the NETWORK, wired connections are Ethernet and for connection to the INTERNET is via the DSL socket. The Open Reach box is, as far as I am aware, merely a fixed filter within the box rather than a separate filter for those with an old single socket phone connector. To me that means Clicking to “Enable ADSL/Fibre Out Sensing” merely tells the router that the data is traveling out via ADSL/Fibre and not by Ethernet to another place.

By the way, If you feel confident enough I believe you can buy phone socket faceplates with the DSL and Phone sockets with the inbuilt filter. Just make sure you know what you’re doing.

Best of luck

A342
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@PRS: In your case the Primary will have ADSL selected (@ACW342 is on Fibre & so has Fibre selected). Just leave "Enable ADSL/Fibre auto sensing" ticked & it will auto sense ADSL.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC = 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by ACW342 Contributor
Contributor

Xray,
True i’m nominally on Fibre but at a technical level maybe you could explain (‘cos i’m not too sure Smiley Happy) as how the system can tell, other than actual speed, as to whether i’m on fibre or not as i’m on FTTC with the last 3 or 4 hundred yards on copper? (If I knew how to insert emoticons it would be the one with a puzzled face)
A342
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@ACW342: As it implies it is auto-sensing the DSL signals it receives on the WAN (phone line) interface.

FTTC is by definition copper from the cab. to your home.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC = 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by PRS Contributor
Contributor

@XRaySpeX

EE have inexplicably sent me another BrightBox1, so now I'm on 2 new ones of the same type.

The primary one is working great with all the previously discussed settings.

When I plug the secondary into the first, it's 'broadband' light turns from red to green and its 'internet' light starts flashing amber quickly.  So by plugging the secondary into the primary is doing something.

However, the 'status' page of the primary router lists nothing as being connected to 'LAN4', and I have to manually type in the secondary's MAC address to reserve its IP address.

This seems odd; how can the connection not be recognised in the 'currently connected devices' list?

Any ideas please?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@PRS: The 'currently connected devices' list is unreliable. It often doesn't show current devices & still shows devices long departed. Try rebooting router & then connect afresh.

What is the "BB Type" of the Secondary when the 'broadband' light turns from red to green and its 'internet' light starts flashing amber quickly. It should be set to Ethernet.

by PRS Contributor
Contributor

@XRaySpeX

That was a refreshed connected devices list.  I have never yet achieved having the secondary router appear in the primary's list.

Yes; BB type was 'ethernet'

Thanks again.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@PRS: The BB light GREEN indicates it's connected on its WAN side (but not to BB). Dunno why the Net light is flashing AMBER. I would have thought it would fast flash GREEN as it is getting traffic. Perhaps @ACW342 will tell us what it should do?

by PRS Contributor
Contributor

@XRaySpeX

I got a PM from @ACW342 which was helpful but unfortunately I've still not fixed it.  I'll put my efforts on pause for a while and post if I have any success further down the line.  So to speak.

Thanks again.

by FurstyFerret Contributor
Contributor

There's a slightly different way of doing this which might make things easier for people attempting it...

First Brightbox:

Leave 99% of the settings the same. The only one you need to alter is Advanced Settings > DHCP > Start IP address and set it to 192.168.1.3 (or whatever suits), then click Save Settings.

Second Brightbox (Slightly more involved):

Connect an ethernet cable between port 4 on your primary Brightbox to the red WAN port on this one.  

Connect to its wireless network and go to Advanced Settings > Broadband Settings. You want to change Broadband Type to Ethernet, and Protocol to Bridging. Click Save Settings.

Go to DHCP and set the Gateway Address to 192.168.1.2.  On the same page, disable the DHCP server and click Save Settings.  

At this point, you should have internet access through the second Brightbox. You should also see network devices connected to the first Brightbox on the Status page.

If you want to keep independent wireless SSIDs, skip to "Tidying Up".  Otherwise, follow the steps below:

Make your way to Advanced Settings > Wireless Settings > SSID Management. Make sure the network name(s) and password(s) match the first Brightbox. This is case sensitive and won't work if even slightly different. Click "Save Settings".

That's it!

Tidying up:

- Disable NAT

- Disable firewall

Hope this helps. :-)

by Gammy

OK, so I have followed all these instructions very carefully, but to no avail.

I have BB2 plugged into phone line and wirelessly running fine.

I have BB1 just plugged into power supply (no extenders, no ethernet cables, no extra phone sockets). 

I'm trying to wirelessly connect BB1 to BB2 to use as wireless WiFi extender really.

Is this possible? Or am I barking up the wrong tree.

by ACW342 Contributor
Contributor

I,m sorry, but i’m having the same problem. I suspect there has been a firmware upgrade and I haven’t been able to connect as I previously had. When time permits I’ll have another go at seeing what is happening.
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

To make a second Brightbox as a WAP on your LAN to the main Brightbox

I have a BB1 currently acting as a WAP as an experiment & it works. Here's how for all types of Brightbox:

1. 1st connect the Secondary BB individually to your PC to do these 1st 6 steps below.
  2. Set Broadband Type of Secondary BB = Fibre/Ethernet for a BB1 or Ethernet for a BB2 (untick the "Enable ADSL/Fibre auto sensing" 1st), under Basic Settings.
  3. Set Protocol of Secondary BB = Bridging, under Basic Settings.
  4. Set the Gateway IP Addy of the Secondary BB, under DHCP, to be diff from that of Primary BB but on same subnet, e.g. if Primary BB's is 192.168.1.1, make the Secondary BB's 192.168.1.2.
  5. Disable DHCP on Secondary BB.
  6. Disable NAT on Secondary BB.
  7. Make the Wireless SSID & pwd of Secondary BB to be same as Primary BB (or you can play around with a separate WLAN).
  8. Connect Primary BB LAN port to Secondary BB WAN port by Ethernet cable or PowerLines, as suggested in other reply.
  9. Reserve the Secondary BB's Gateway IP Addy in the DHCP of the Primary BB.
  10. You should not need to make any other changes to the Primary BB.

If you ever need to reconfigure the Secondary BB, you may find that you cannot access it from http://192.168.1.2/ as it objects to "Duplicate Administrator" In which case you will need to again connect the Secondary BB individually to your PC to administer it.

by kurtph1969 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I assumining you cannot do this over wifi?

by kurtph1969 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi,

I'm having a few issues and wonder if someone could help.

I set this up following the 'solution' instructions and it works perfectly testing the BrightBoxes via a LAN cable. My next move was to purchase two PowerLine boxes (these are the ones I got: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B015E3MXKC/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1).

The PowerLines are all set up and the data/interet LEDs show as connected. On my Primary BrightBox I can see the secondary one as 'connected', however, when I connect to my secondary BrightBox using Wi-Fi there is no internet connection!

Is it possible that the BT PowerLines are some how blocking the internet? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

by
EE Employee

I wonder if this is something @XRaySpeX can assist with @kurtph1969

Many thanks,

Lee

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.