cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE wont work abroad in any country

NealThomas
Investigator
Investigator

I took up a contract with an iphone with EE.
within 2 months i traveled to NewYork and the phone wouldn't work on the roaming bundle. I spent hours of wasted times in cafes/hotels using wifi contacting EE to fix the issue. Many reassurances from EE that the phone and roaming settings and bundles I bought were correct, the phone wouldnt not work. EE couldnt sort it but when I was back in the UK they promised it would work next time.

The same happened in Greece, Germany, France and Morocco (different bundle needed in Morocco). You need your phone working to get you to meetings/hotels/work etc. Its not good enough for a large company to let this happen and not help.

On all of these trips, friends and colleagues that I have been with all had perfectly working phones, and often iphones on EE. so the countries phone signals were fine and it was clearly EE's settings and iphone that were to blame each time.

I have spent days calling/emailing/whatsapping EE and they just cant/wont help.

I finally asked them to just release me from my 36 month contract as its failing. I said i would pay for the iphone and could they stop the monthly charges. the answer 'NO'. So i am stuck with a phone/contract that wont work abroad for the next 22months and I have 6 abroad business trips organised this year already.

Dont use EE if you need a working phone abroad.

EE will reply to this stating they cant confirm or guarantee if a foreign countries signal will work.......however all of my friends/colleagues/family have had no issue on their vodaphone/iphones or three or gifgaf etc. So it is EEs fault and they wont help.

23 REPLIES 23

@NealThomas wrote:

My daughter is on EE with the same iPhone and it works fine abroad. Mine doesn’t.

Your post is subjected "EE won't work" yet if another EE user was having service, this should have been a red-flag that this issue was user-specific.

I agree that CS had numerous opportunities to check your account settings, but it's equally possible they were only being asked by a (well intentioned but mistaken) user to check the bundles/billing add-ons.

If the tone of the CS calls were anything like this forum thread, I can see how this situation has developed and continued unresolved. As per the latest reply here, what response do you receive when you text ROAMING to 150?

IMG_2363.jpeg

IMG_2360.jpeg

IMG_2361.jpeg

IMG_2362.jpeg

IMG_2365.jpeg

  

IMG_2363.jpeg

Often no replies when messaging EE on 150 or it’s not understood

but normaly I get a reply saying it’s set up and the prices for bundles and using the phone abroad. I can see a 5G signal. Some times people can call me but I can’t call out.

so it’s clearly not a foreign signal issue. It’s EE.

see screen shots of my ROAMING replies

Doesn't look like you ever got a reply from the ROAMING text, partly because of sending multiple commands to the bot in a short space of time, thus it replied to the wrong one each time. I'm also intrigued by the reference to BT in one of your texts.

@NealThomas wrote:

Some times people can call me but I can’t call out.

If people can call you, it follows that you have a mobile network connection. It therefore follows that your roaming is active, and the issue is elsewhere.

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @NealThomas,

The texts seem to show a mix of BT Mobile and EE responses.

Have you recently switched from BT to EE?

If you're now on an EE plan, being able to receive calls but not make them would indicate there is an international calling bar on your account. Our Customer Care Team can remove this for you.

James

Originally, before all of those messages I uploaded I was with BT, they moved me to EE on the same number.

since then it’s all gone wrong.

yes once they did mention an international call blocking and apparently fixed it. Unfortunately nothing changed. Since then when I’ve called they have said that international blocking was ok.

it is quite frustrating.

maybe from what you’ve said I’m stuck between BT/EE somehow?

I appreciate your thoughts one this👍

I only uploaded a few messages that I sent to 150. There are literally hundreds. I’ve also been messaging them on whatsapp also which goes through to a person but although they can order bundles, switch ROAMING on/off, nothing gets fixed.

i agree. The issue lies somewhere else but EE has given up.

thanks for your help

@NealThomas wrote:

I’ve also been messaging them on whatsapp also which goes through to a person

How so? EE don't have a WhatsApp contact.

@NealThomas wrote:
Yes I did that and I was told to try ROAMING GREECE (the countries name afterwards). Still didn't work.

That should be RO GREECE, another of EE's confusing texts. All RO does is tell you the costs of roaming there, but it won't activate roaming.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks

i did try that for NY, Germany and France. RO then country name. It didn’t seem to do much. 

I think my account is just stuck in a glitch 

In fact BT Business.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)