cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE wont work abroad in any country

NealThomas
Investigator
Investigator

I took up a contract with an iphone with EE.
within 2 months i traveled to NewYork and the phone wouldn't work on the roaming bundle. I spent hours of wasted times in cafes/hotels using wifi contacting EE to fix the issue. Many reassurances from EE that the phone and roaming settings and bundles I bought were correct, the phone wouldnt not work. EE couldnt sort it but when I was back in the UK they promised it would work next time.

The same happened in Greece, Germany, France and Morocco (different bundle needed in Morocco). You need your phone working to get you to meetings/hotels/work etc. Its not good enough for a large company to let this happen and not help.

On all of these trips, friends and colleagues that I have been with all had perfectly working phones, and often iphones on EE. so the countries phone signals were fine and it was clearly EE's settings and iphone that were to blame each time.

I have spent days calling/emailing/whatsapping EE and they just cant/wont help.

I finally asked them to just release me from my 36 month contract as its failing. I said i would pay for the iphone and could they stop the monthly charges. the answer 'NO'. So i am stuck with a phone/contract that wont work abroad for the next 22months and I have 6 abroad business trips organised this year already.

Dont use EE if you need a working phone abroad.

EE will reply to this stating they cant confirm or guarantee if a foreign countries signal will work.......however all of my friends/colleagues/family have had no issue on their vodaphone/iphones or three or gifgaf etc. So it is EEs fault and they wont help.

23 REPLIES 23
bristolian
Legend
Legend

The only relevant setting is that roaming is enabled on your SIM/account to unlock access to foreign networks.

The billing add-on you have, is irrelevant - that merely reduces the cost of roaming.

Hello,

Are you putting this in the community help page also?

I would hope that EE had changed that setting from the number of times I contacted them and each time they reassured me that it would work.

The billing is valid as EE wont release me unless I pay the entire 36 month contract, even though it is their fault that the phone/contract wont work abroad. I offered to buy the phone off them, but they aren’t interested in helping.

Sent from Outlook for iOS<>
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

You never texted ROAMING to 150 before you left UK to ensure the roaming ability is enabled on your account, as advised under "Get Ready to Roam" on the various Roaming Costs  Help pages.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

@NealThomas  It’s also in the my EE app in settings on what to do to enable roaming.    You can pay off the phone but you’ll need to also pay off the contract if you wish to terminate and roaming is optional not contractual. 
As for your title of the post that’s not true in the slightest I’ve used my devices many times abroad as I enable roaming on my account. 

You always type ROAMING  in before you travel and when you land abroad.. I also called EE before travelling each time after  it went wrong the first time to check it was all set up. 

best part of 100 emails/messages and 40+ calls to EE on this. I did everything possible to get it working. EE just failed.

i appreciate the advise on what to do now. None of it worked though and EE just messed up and won’t help.

It’s all true. I’m not going to spend time making things up. This has cost me days of time trying to rectify.
My daughter is on EE with the same iPhone and it works fine abroad. Mine doesn’t. 

This is what has happened and EE won’t help.

Text ROAMING alone or ROAMING PASS. They are diff!

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @NealThomas,

What response do you receive when you text ROAMING to 150?

James