cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPV4 fallback doesn't work

Adam_84
Explorer

Hi All

So I have seen a lot of threads on this, but still can't get my EE sim to work in my 4G CPE 3 mobile router on IPV4 only.

My issue is when set to dual stack (IPV4/IPV6) services like Steam, or even things like VPNs don't work. So I followed the steps suggested in other threads, that said I should make a APN of IPV4 only which I did, however once I do that and try to browse to anything I get an a message of APN: Connection failed. When I switch it to dual stack the connection works, but then I still can't access services I want to like steam or my VPN.

Thanks

23 REPLIES 23

i have the same problem now too this is very upsetting i was enjoying the moderate nat type on ee's mobile broadband ive trried changing it again and again still doesnt work so it looks like it patched 

edoardoc
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same issue with an iPhone 12ProMax.

EE useless so far.

Interestingly last week I was roaming in the EU and my iPhone on the EE SIM provided both ipv4 and  ipv6 !
The same happens if (in the UK) I stick my EE SIM in an old iPhone - both ipv4 and  ipv6 available.

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @edoardoc 

Thanks for coming here. 

Are you unable to connect to a device or VPN? 

Leanne.

edoardoc
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @Leanne_T 

I am unable to get an IPV4 connection on the mac when tethered/connected (via USB or WiFi) to my iPhone with the EE SIM.
So apps that are unable to use IPV6 on the mac (like my work VPN client) fail.
Common apps like a browser work fine with IPV6.

My corporate VPN client requires IPV4. Used to work connected through the iPhone until last December. Stopped working after the Xmas break.

I tried corporate vpn support, apple support, resetting iphone etc. - it's not a device problem. EE changed something.
While roaming with the EE sim and the same devices IPV4 works.
If I stick the EE sim in an old iphone, IPV4 works.

I am currently unable to use my phone as a hotspot for work. This is extremely annoying for me. If I need to work mobile, I either have to attach to some wifi or bring an old iphone and swap SIMs temporarily. 

EE support understood the issue but said they can't do anything to change my APN.
The solution would be to change network, e.g. to Vodafone or O2 ... I just wish I hadn't renewed my EE contract. 

James_B

Hi @edoardoc,

Are both iPhones using the same iOS version?

James

Hi @James_B no the old iPhone 7 is on an older iOS version.

my regular iPhone is a 12ProMax and always on the latest iOS, currently 17.3.1

the spare one is an iPhone7Plus on iOS 15.8.1

as I said, I was able to use my regular iPhone until Xmas more or less, when iOS was 17.2 I think, however the current release worked fine while on roaming last week. The problem is with the carrier, not with my devices !

James_B

Hi @edoardoc,

If it was purely a network issue, I would expect the issue to follow your SIM and show the same behaviour in all devices. In this case it seems the issue only appears when using your EE SIM in a device using newer versions of iOS.

I'm not aware of any known issues that would cause this so I'd recommend getting back in touch with Technical Support on 150 to see if the team are able to raise a support ticket for further investigation.

James

Hi @James_B 
In this case it seems the issue only appears when using your EE SIM in a device using newer versions of iOS.

as I said, last week I was roaming in the EU with the same devices (iphone and mac) using the EE sim and I was obtaining both IPV6 and IPV4 - so it's not an iOS issue

>getting back in touch with Technical Support on 150 

I spent an hour today and they understood the problem but said that they are unable to change my APN, they did not offer to open a ticket

James_B

Hi @edoardoc,

I understand your frustration and did pick up on your comment about it working as expected on a roaming network.

The iOS version does seem to play a part, as the issue isn't present on older iterations.

I'd recommend getting back in touch to see if it is possible to raise a ticket with our support teams for further investigation.

Please let us know how you get on.

James

EE should just offer up IPv4 and the issue would be fixed.  It's unworkable for me with my home VPN or works VPN.  

Clearly this is something that EE haven't properly tested, regardless of whether Apple have made changes or not.

You'd like to think that EE's network would work well with top of the range Apple hardware and standard business VPNs but it seems not to be the case.  No one has time for hours of calls with 150. Quicker to change networks and send the iphone back to EE as being useless and not providing the function it was brought for.

There's several threads around this same topic.