cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4GEE Home Broadband - any better external antennas out there ? Omni directional?

MROB1974
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Im getting a bit peeved off with my 4gEE home wifi getting a very slow and unreliable signal ( under 5mb DL - high latency etc) when on my Iphone I get about 40MB DL sitting inside my house! Makes no sense and makes me think the router/external arial has some fuzzy logic regarding picking up the best signal/provider. I am using the original square EE contractor supplied arial outside on my house, plus the EE supplied Huwuai 2nd gen router. 

Has anyone else noticed this? Any tips/tricks, apart from jumping on the roof and twisting the arial round to try and grab the best signal? Has arial technology improved over the past couple of years and its time for a better omni direction antenna? Any recommendations? The fact my phone gets a great 4G signal inside my house makes me think my hardware is not up the scratch/settings are incorrect.

Driving me mad. At this rate I might as well switch out the SIMs and use my Iphone as a hotspot for the whole house!

Many Thx

9 REPLIES 9
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi there @MROB1974 

Thanks for coming here. 

I would suggest reporting this to our technical support team by calling 0800 079 8586 and the team will get this looked into. 

Leanne.

Have a hole hub broadband 4G. Data speed for weeks now is just dreadful. Spikes from 0.5mbps to 4 rawly gets above that at the moment. Unusable for most applications etc.. need a resolution and I’ve already repeated this. 

oliverauston
Explorer

Same problem here in Kent. Driving me mad! 

MROB1974
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Im in Kent too. Upchurch near Sittingbourne. Rural location so no other option apart from 4GEE

Ive spoken to technical support numerous times. Last time they eventually sent out a tech guy who moved my antenna about an inch which made not difference whatsoever. Whats needed is a high gain omni directional antenna that can flip to the best signal/antenna rather than stuck on one that when it goes down, you are in schtuck! 

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @oliverauston

I would recommend discussing this with our technical support team so that they can look as your specific area and give you some advice.

Chris

MROB1974
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Like I said. Already did this. Spent a couple of weeks compiling DL speeds and sending them to Tech Support in order to warrant a call out. Then they said the antenna was in the right place, moved it a couple of inches and that was that. 

Seems like a hardware issue to me, considering my Iphone is super fast compared to the 4gee home broadband.  The antenna isnt picking up the right provider/mast as its not omni directional ....whereas the Iphone antenna picks up the best one

flippyflappy
Explorer

There isn't much technical information around for the 4GEE 3 router. I wonder if it uses 4x4 MIMO technology as it's hard to explain why an iPhone with an EE sim can consistently get about 40-50 Mbps more than the 4GEE 3 router when the two are next to each other. I'm going to try a Huawei B628 and see if that makes any difference

flippyflappy
Explorer

Using a Huawei 628-265 from Amazon with the external aerial fitted by EE's contractor gives me significantly faster speeds, both up and down. 160 down/40 up vs average of 40-50 down/20 up. Had cancelled my service within the 14 day cooling off period to switch to a 30 day rolling contract whilst I tried to fine tune it but I think it's fixed now.

Hi flippyflappy, 

Thanks for the very useful information. If you don't me asking, what external aerial did you go for ? 

Also did the Huawei Router have any issues connecting to some websites/services on the Internet ? I just discovered that the EE4G Hub is a 'dump' router with limited functionality. I can't access services because of the default Firewall which cannot be disabled/configured. Looking to upgrade.