cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband keeps disconnecting

debus68
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hello there, Our Wi-Fi keeps disconnecting and randomly going down to 34 mbps from anywhere in the range of 64-75mbps. As 34mbps is below our stay fast guarantee of 50mbps and we very often see this I don't think our broadband is doing what it should be doing. We disconnect at least once every day sometimes every 2 days, it seems to be very random and also the network going down to 34mbps is also very random as it doesn't happen every time. I don't think we should have to put up this bearing in mind how expensive our package is compared to what we get and how inconsistent it is.

29 REPLIES 29
debus68
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

i tried plugging the phone into the back of the hub instead of the master socket as on our master socket we have a broadband socket and phone socket, and now i can get through to the quiet line test, the line sounds normal other than a minor bit of crackling

debus68
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

i can also not plug the hub into the test socket as the broadband cable is much smaller then the phone cable and does not clip into the hole, the phone cable when plugged into the test socket does not call out, and the phone stops working.

XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

Sounds like you have Digital Home Phone. Is that right? If so, it doesn't go thro' the master phone socket.

You need 1 of those dangly DSL filters to plug the router into the test socket. Can you do that? If not, plug the router into the front BB socket & take the router stats as now.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
debus68
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

yeah i’ve noticed that now our phone has started working again and it actually let me ring out for the quiet line test. Could the phone being incorrectly connected be causing these random internet drops? It used to do it before on our BT package but we never had the digital phone then. When we started getting the broadband issues around about last august time, we had a BT engineer out and he said our cables at the cabinet were corroded so he replaced them, but our issues still persisted but ever since upgrading to the EE package the problems have stayed the same if not got worse

XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

Is the phone now working from the master phone socket? If so, it can't be digital landline but analogue. This is all rather contradictory.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
debus68
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

one thing i have done to also try and fix our ping spikes we get with our internet when playing online games is i have attached an old open reach modem and then have put the broadband cable into that and then connected it via the wan port to our hub, now our upload latency has gone from 400+ to about 50-100 which has greatly improved the online games they still lag occasionally but not as much now and also our bufferbloat grade has gone from an F to a B, our internet has also not gone down for a few days since attaching this, could this mean our router is faulty?

debus68
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Another issue we have with our router is that when anything is connected via ethernet, it takes roughly 30 seconds to connect and give internet on that device I have tested this on 2 different devices of completely different spec so I know it is not the devices and also strangely enough over Wi-Fi it instantly connects but this issue never happened with our old BT hub, and I cannot use the Wi-Fi as some games don't let you connect with our Wi-Fi they just give a networking failed error.

and also I thought I responded to your message before but apparently I did not so I am sorry, yes our phone is plugged into the router now and working correctly, when plugged into the socket as it was before on BT, using our new EE the phone would not be able to ring out or receive calls.

XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

Can you confirm what you are plugging the router into?

Is the BB still running at the slow speed?

debus68
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi, the internet is connected now straight from the master socket into the smart hub plus, and our internet has been great for the past 6 days locked at 75mbps down and 14 upload, but it has just gone down again about 20 minutes ago, we are back down to 34mbps down and 10mbps upload

debus68_0-1715635199221.png

XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

The DLM system has put you on a banded profile in response to past errors on your line, at the top of the up to 35 Meg band of these VDSL Banded Profiles. You need to give the DLM time to relent & remove any banding. If your sync speed at the test socket remains stuck at the same speed for 10 days you should ask EE to investigate the underlying fault. If a fault is found and fixed then the OR engineer may request a DLM reset. However should significant errors persist the DLM will reapply banding.