cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

using a phone sim to connect to 4G internet

rockandice
Contributor
Contributor

I'll be using an EE sim in a pole mounted 4G parabolic antenna with a built in modem and router to get internet in a very remote location with almost no mobile signal and no phone lines. Testing it with a PAYG phone sim I can get 22Mb/s download, so the cheaper unlimited phone sim (as opposed to the dearer data sim) will do, even though its limited to 60 Mb/s.

If I connect a voip phone to my internet connection will I be able to use the phone number of the mobile sim to make and receive calls?

11 REPLIES 11
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@rockandice   Nope.  The sim isn’t make the call it’s only making connection to the network. 

Ah OK thanks, Am I correct though that if all I can get is 22 Mb/s due to signal strength then I'm better off with the cheaper phone sim (even if I can't make calls and send texts), than the dearer data only sim ? As far as I can tell the data sim just allows for faster d/l speeds, which I can't get anyway

@rockandice   By going on what you are saying about the speeds probably yes.    Just to add contact sims have access to the 800mhz range so if your in one of these areas you’ll get better speeds then PAYG that don’t get 800mhz  

Just tried it set up at home with an EE mast about 5Km away. its picking up bands 3, 8 and 20 so it is using 800MHz. I can get 25Mb/s download into a switch to an AP. The voip phone talks to the switch and I think even updated its firmware over the internet. I get a dial tone but it won't make calls saying  'no service'. A google search seems to indicate this means it is not registered on any VOIP number system. Bit reluctant to start another contract with a VOIP provider just to see if that is the issue.

@rockandice wrote:

Just tried it set up at home with an EE mast about 5Km away. its picking up bands 3, 8 and 20 so it is using 800MHz.

Band 8 900Mhz is only used by VF & O2 in the UK.

EE use Bands 1 (2100Mhz), 3 (1800Mhz), 7 (2600Mhz) & 20 (800Mhz) - although availability does vary by individual sites & areas.

ok, it looks like I'll have to pay for a separate voip number as well.

I've found a company that will give a geographic number for £3.59 a month which seems reasonable if it works, That will be on top of the £40 a month for the unlimited EE phone sim contract, 

18 months ago there were several posts on the forum from people using an internet connection created via an EE SIM in a mobile router saying that after working fine for a long time, VOIP had suddenly stopped working. It wasn't clear if this was EE actively preventing it, no longer supporting it or if they had changed something that altered settings etc.

I'm just about to create such an Internet connection using an EE sim in a mobile router with an external antenna but would like to be able to make phone calls (can't do it from a mobile phone as the raw signal strength isn't good enough)

Can anyone confirm - or not - whether VOIP is now working correctly with EE?

If not, is there any other way to make phone calls over this type of internet connection? (without using a mobile phone, as I want to have some sort of phone permanently fixed to the wall)

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @rockandice,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

EE don't block or restrict the use of VoIP services. To check compatibility, please contact the VoIP provider directly.

James

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

You can't make VoIP calls on the SIM's mobile no. You will need a phone no. from your VoIP provider.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)