cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Wait 7 days for Old Mobile number on new phone

TimBro1
Investigator
Investigator

I am the Account holder for my daughter's mobile phone. She has decided that since the discount I got her no longer applies she'll take over the account. She also decided to upgrade her phone as she was out of contract with EE. We went into the EE shop and she got a new phone, which will be and always was paid from her own bank account. We were told just phone up EE and they'll transfer the old mobile phone number to the new phone after the short use of a temporary other number. So far so good. On phoning up, it'd all possible, but she now has to wait 7 days for the old number to be associated with her new phone. I thought porting phone numbers was a thing that was sorted years ago. How come EE take a week to port old phone numbers within their own organisation? The operator on the other end was clueless unable to explain why. 7 Days?! Does the contract have to go by snail mail in Australia for confirmation?

5 REPLIES 5
NYRBrian
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Porting of a number takes one working day, unless it's done after 5.30pm on a Friday where it will take 2 days.

I'm not sure this situation comes under a straightforward port though because you're not moving the number from another network.

Are you certain someone hasnt diddled you somewhere along the lines? If a change of ownership was performed I cant see where a "temporary number" needs to be involved at all? 

Were you issued with a PAC to port the number?

Im genuinely confused whats going on. The way you've explained the situation so far it looks to me like the shop has sold you a new contract and basically left CS to deal with the aftermath.

Agreed, not moving from one network to another. No PAC number was given or mentioned, probably because she remained with EE. Yes it sounds like a new contract was actually setup even though they asked her for details they already had. We spent about 30 minutes on the phone to CS later to do the transfer of account bit only to be told 'we' had to come back 7 days later. Since she's been with them for years, and they've pulled the money from her bank account all along. God alone knows what they think they are going to learn in 7 days.

Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Hi @TimBro1.

Welcome to the community.

A number port or number transfer shouldn't take seven days.

I'd recommend getting back in touch to ask what is happening, and see if you can find out why you were told it could take this long.

Jon

SUCCESS! Thanks NYRBrian and Jon_K.

Turns out it is more complex switching between 'accounts' than we thought. But we spoke to another EE rep tonight (Monday 22nd) and he sorted it out, wasn't quick but he it only took one call. Daughter's new phone got swapped to a 'pay-as-you-go' number for a brief period then back to her old EE number which she wanted to keep. The EE guy was baffled too as to why porting a number within EE would take up to 7 days.

Anyhow, RESULT! When something looks fishy it can pay to ask why.

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Morning @TimBro1

Thanks for coming back and letting us know.

Glad to hear this is all sorted for you both after calling 🙂

Have a lovely Christmas.

Leanne.