cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Rural broadband - 4g router

TWROG
Explorer

I live in a rural area a mile away from the nearest super fast broadband green box hub. I pay for super fast broadband but I can't get higher speeds than 15mbps. 

My house is an old barn conversion with stone walls in parts, and brick stud walls inside. 

Wifi coverage inside the house is patchy at best. 

I am looking at two options. Smart hub with mesh system to even out the wifi coverage or 4g router receiving a signal from an antenna on the roof. I am currently trying the latter - but it doesn't work. The antenna receives a signal of at least 50mbps. It is relayed via a 5 metre cable to the router which sits behind a downstairs window. The highest Wifi speed we can get using this system is 5mbps. I don't understand the problem. I don't want to give up on the 4g / antenna system because my neighbours are using something similar, with 4g antennas , and they are enjoying download speeds of 50mbps at least. 

Unless we can find a solution we will have to resort to the Smart Hub linking to the wired broadband which we hope will even out coverage using the mesh system but will have much lower and just about usable speeds. 

Can anyone help?

Is it possible to connect the 4g antenna to a Smart Hub? Will a 4g router work with the mesh / satellite system? 

3 REPLIES 3
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

You won't be able to connect a 4G antenna to a smarthub, but should be able to connect the mesh to the 4G router if it has a spare ethernet port.

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

What does BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number or you don't have one, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks very much. 

It does have a spare ethernet port. So how does that work. The mesh system comes with a Smart Hub. Is that what I will need to connect to the 4g router?