cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

FTTP Install Concerns

talksr86
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there, I am in a new build – around 3 years old, the developer never put fibre in so we have copper. I am with EE who use BT for the broadband and they keep emailing me to say I should renew to Full Fibre Max 100 which is the BT version of Full Fibre 100, just a few quid more expensive.

I really want to however, lots of people in my area have been switching to FTTP,  but I am noticing in the new estates, some questionable install methods on the part of the BT engineers.
These properties have copper underground like mine, not on the pole. There are a lot of properties with fibre installs midway up the wall on the front of the house, broken brick and no cover boxes. It just looks sloppy and security concern as my CCTV and burglar alarm run off of the broadband. No offence to the installers, maybe the installer had issues running the cable but I am seeing quite a few. Hence my post.

Can anyone see any issues with removing my existing copper cable and running a new one?

1. Here is where it all starts, the copper connection goes into the house here with front door on the right:

1.jpg

Outside of house
  2. The other side of the wall, here you can see a box and cover plate which was installed to access and run the cable:

2.PNG

Wall socket 1

3.PNG

Wall socket 2
    The box is quite low to the skirting board and missing a screw hole so the screws seem to screw right into the back plate, it takes ages to put it back on and get the screws lined up. Also seems there is some kind of sealant on the part of the cable that goes further into the house towards the toilet but nothing on the outside facing hole so there is always a cold breeze coming through.

Wall Socket 3

4.PNG

3 From here, it seems to go behind the downstairs toilet pan in some wooden boxing, then around the downstairs toilet and into the storage cupboard where there are ethernet sockets to my upstairs bedrooms. I have drawn some lines of where I think the route must go:

Outside view of cable run

Inside view of cable run

7.PNG

Inside view of cable run

Lastly, this is the view of the sockets in the cupboard along from the toilet. Unfortunately, the wall behind here is a piece of plaster and then solid breeze block as I have a neighbouring house next door.  There is absolutely no sign of the copper cable in this cupboard. It seems that when it goes from the toilet through the plasterboard and into this cupboard it must be buried in the wall somewhere.

Sockets in cupboard

This is what is behind the BT socket that the router goes into. There are several phone sockets up in the bedrooms which I understand will obviously be killed off when the fibre goes in.

9.PNG

Behind copper socket in cupboard

From my above pictures, what do you think, would this be a simple, tidy FTTP job or should I just forget it and stick with copper, and let the next person worry about it when I eventually move? 

I don't want untidy cables visible at the front of the house and don't want wall plates and cables visible all inside either. The guidance from both EE and BT say that the engineers will just pull out the copper and use the existing cable run but there are a few right angle turns and a BT consumer socket in dot & dab wall. Doesn't feel like it will be a nice tidy install to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to be a nightmare customer for the engineer and if it will be a nightmare, I will just leave it. 

7 REPLIES 7
pip11
Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

Only the exterior copper run will be  removed from the duct for the fibre cable.

From the external CSP (box) the fibre may be run outside to point of entry for the fibre connection. Any internal cabling will be surface mount.

pip11
Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

Starwire, an Openreach FTTP installer has replied to your post on the BT forum. He says pretty much the same but gives more detail.

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/FTTP-Install-Concerns/td-p/2203135 

Thanks for your helpful reply and for spotting the other post on the BT forum. I will drop him a reply now.

Thanks again 👍

pip11
Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

As I posted on the other forum.

Forget about paying extra or an engineer fishing through a connection. Concentrate on making the install as easy as possible. If any fishing is needed do it yourself and leave a draw string, make sure it moves freely with no snags.

Openreach engineers do their best to accomodate your wishes but there may be reasons why they can's such as bend radius. Thay will discuss the options with you when they arrive as you can with them.

Thanks @pip11 very helpful and also some very useful posts on the other forum too. 

Thank you and Happy New Year!😉

IT-4BusyPeople
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Looking at your photo's it seems your house suffers from the same problem as mine, namely the absence of power sockets anywhere near the master socket in your hall.

So you may wish, probably like others on your estate to have the cable routed into the house at a different location, where power for the ONT etc. is readily available. 

Thanks for your post @IT-4BusyPeople. Actually, I am lucky, they put a double socket right next to the phone socket. I did put the picture, but had a lot of issues uploading my images in my OP.

But I can appreciate your frustrations. Mine are more to do with the build, nothing is straight, floors are not even level, but thankfully, quite a few plug points!