cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Moving into an 'ONFL Home'

NiallB
Investigator
Investigator

Hi, 

We're about to move home, and as with such things, transferring services is never as simple as one would hope!

We're currently with EE on an 18 month contract that started around Jan/Feb. However, the new home (as part of a relatively new build development) is only supplied by ONFL (www.ofnl.co.uk/) not Virgin or Openreach. Having looked, but not contacted EE, the only thing they can offer is a 4G router, which would halve our speed and limit our data. As my wife will be working from home, she requires a fast and solid internet connection, so this simply won't do. 

I've been told by sources that EE might waive cancelation fees, as they're unable to provide the service we're currently paying for at the new address. Does anyone have any experience with this that can provide advice?

I know contacting EE is a must, but I was hoping to go with a knowledge of what to expect from the conversation. Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @NiallB

It's difficult to explain how the conversation will go, because it will depend on numerous factors on how it will go. I'd recommend calling to discuss this. The person you speak to will take a look at your account and situation and do their very best to help. 🙂

Contact us >

Let us know how you get on.

Chris

mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @NiallB ,

I would recommend reviewing the ofcom guidance on this below.

Some service providers (e.g. historically BT) give customers protection by not applying Early Termination Charges when they are unable to provide service at the new address. Other service providers are silent on the matter which puts the customer at risk of having to terminate early through no fault of their own.

As you've mentioned, a 4G LTE service is unlikely to meet your needs. I also think it's unlikely to be offered (potentially different parts of the business), but be careful of what you do accept in case it cuts off a more favourable resolution.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/switchi...

One argument you might make is that the Early Termination Charges are insufficiently clear as to the very typical situation of moving house and perhaps the service provider could be reminded of the lack of clarity below. You could for the purposes of argument stand your ground, in a friendly and reasonable manner, and request that they provide the service at the new address (e.g. ask for, but do not commit to, the installation charge which may be much higher than the standard or not available at all) at which point it becomes a blinking game.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/bulletins/competition-bulletins/all-closed-cases/cw_0119...

The main problem is being near the start of the contract. My solution to the issue when renewing at an old property knowing I would move soon, and when I looked into this, was to instead take a 4G mobile contract to sidestep the issue (not applicable or suitable in your case). (Virgin Media in that case I believe did not provide any protection so a considerable charge of around GBP 50 became applicable even if I had to leave through no fault of my own.)

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net