cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Issues with EE SIM in Tenda WiFi Router

christait
Investigator
Investigator

We have had a PAYG 100Mb EE SIM card in our Tenda 27CA router at our static caravan for a few months with no issues whatsoever. Recently we moved to a 2 year contract, with unlimited data, using the same SIM and since then almost all of the apps,  including Netflix and Amazon Prime, will not work on either the Smart TV or the Firestick. Internet speeds are fine (around 40 mbps) and Netflix through laptop and phone works fine, although my IPTV Smarters app won't work on any device. I have tried resetting both the router and the TV to factory settings with no success. Does anyone know how can this be resolved? Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @christait 

Thanks for coming to the community. 

Are you able to connect any device to the WiFi router? 

Do you get any error message? 

Speak soon 🙂

Leanne. 

Hi Leanne. yes, it connects ok to all devices according to the connection checks and the TV states that the connection is 'very good', but then some of the individual apps don't recognise that connection and say there is an issue. I'm baffled!

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @christait

Thanks for coming back to me. 

Have you tried the SIM in a phone to see if you can use the apps? 

Thanks 🙂

Leanne. 

Not yet but as I said, the apps work fine when connected via laptop and mobile but won’t work on smart tv or firestick. I’m not at the caravan now until Saturday so I can’t try the router SIM card in another device but I’ll certainly give that a try, Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks again

Hi @christait ,

I recommend to check if the Tenda APN is set to IPV4-only and to try that if not.

Laptops and mobile are likely to cope better with IPV6 and IPV4V6. On my device, when I set IPV4V6, I see that only an IPv6 address is assigned which causes me some puzzlement as it doesn't do what one would guess from the tin.

Another test is to put the SIM in an unlocked mobile and try via a hotspot/tethering as mobiles, again, do very well with IPv6 and downstream devices.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

Thanks so much, I’ll try both of those first chance I get particularly the ipv4 suggestion as that sounds like it might explain some of the inconsistencies and why there seems to be no single device causing the issue 

Hi Mike, (and Leanne)  well I tried what you suggested and changed the APN router from IPV6 to IPV4 and bingo, everything now works absolutely fine so thanks again. I’m assuming that IPV6 will eventually fully replace IPV4…? Is that the case and am so likely to have a problem at that point! Cheers again