cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Fibre Install - Open Reach

niallmacmillan
Explorer

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar?

We moved to our house in June and put a Fibre order in as this showed as available. One of the reasons of buying the house.

2 weeks later we have an engineer come out to install it only to tell us he can’t get access to the cabling? He suggests I go for Copper in the meantime until the issue can be solved. No problem.

I call EE who tell me that it will take 2 weeks to cancel the original order of Fibre (30 days since purchasing) before they can then order my Copper service to be activated.

I wait patiently and my copper line gets activated 2.5 weeks later. I then start a new separate order for Fibre again in July.

Since then I’ve had numerous OR engineers come out, scratch there head and speculate the issues. All from July to now. No issues really as I’ve got my copper line.

Some engineers say they need to dig up my drive. Some say it’s routed to the wrong cabinet. Some say it’s under my Neighbours bushes etc……

Eventually someone blames it on the ducting being damaged and a hole is dug in the road to fix. Then 2x OR workmen tell me the ducting is fixed but they still can’t feed the fibre cable because it’s routed incorrectly?!?

Now two days before the hole is dug, my copper line stops working. My router flashes Aqua and I’m out of internet. EE tell me they can’t request an engineer visit to fix as there is an open order (since July!) for the Fibre.

I told the engineer my copper wasn’t working anymore when he was fixing the ducting in the road. He blamed EE for putting my account on hold. He said it couldn’t of been them because the cabinet is buried underground under the neighbours bushes!

I’m still here a week later with no broadband and my only options are to cancel my long saga order of Fibre just to get someone to fix my inactive copper line to then begin all over again on a new Fibre order?

I received a text from OR just now saying the fibre will be installed today as the ducting issue is fixed. Once again another unsuccessful visit with head scratching showing that the previous engineers didn’t bother leaving any notes of what he told me. Just confirmed the ducting was fixed.

Has anyone gone through something similar? It’s literally the worst process I’ve ever been through!

3 REPLIES 3
mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @niallmacmillan ,

Are you receiving some manner of automatic compensation in line with the below or a more recent version of that page?

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automat...

If you don't already have alternative internet access arranged, you may wish to request that the service provider provides you with 4G LTE broadband due to problems of their own making. If they refuse to provide that, you could obtain a 4G LTE router and investigate rolling one-month contracts: https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/unlimited-data

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply, they have sent me a 4G Mini Hub to help in the meantime, does the job in one room but looses connection often and very poor.

Is this sufficient for compensation or do you think I require more? There is literally nothing I can do, I am at the mercy of OpenReachs poor and rigid processes.

Hi @niallmacmillan ,

There is an Apr 2021 update to the page

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultations-and-statements/category-1/automatic-compensation

which leads me to think the Ofcom Automatic Compensation Scheme is currently in effect. I believe in 2020 there may have been a temporary suspension on account of the pandemic.

When you next speak to EE, I would recommend that you enquire about the Automatic Compensation Scheme and the amounts which you are due (if any). You did not agree to give up any of this amount on being supplied the 4G Mini Hub so I recommend to stand your ground if that comes up.

I believe the below link is what EE has promised to pay you (I would recommend calculating the amounts yourself so you are not short changed). I suspect the repair and services will happen much more quickly if you claim this than if you ignore it. Any money which you receive but do not want can be given to charity. You could agree to receive a reduced amount if they fix by a certain deadline (e.g. before Christmas) but I wouldn't recommend giving up any more than 50%.

Your mileage may vary, it's possible EE may try to argue against what is promised below.

https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/broadband-and-landline/home-broadband/automatic-compensation

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net