cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Work required to install fibre broadband?

JohnSmith12345
Explorer

I am looking to upgrade my regular EE Broadband (Livebox) to fibre. I am told it's available to me and I know workmen put the cable down our road sometime ago. I can read information on the contract I am interested in but absolutely zero information on what's required. I have no idea before I buy if they will need to dig up my drive or hammer a large hole through my wall. I even went to my local EE store today and the kids serving were completely useless. It was like I was asking something weird. Do people really just blindly sign up without knowing if they need to take time off work or whether a nice new drive will be damaged? I find this lack of basic information bizarre and somewhat annoying. Obviously I could phone but fear I will get someone like the kids in the shop.
Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@JohnSmith12345  Nothing will he dug up it’s a phone line from the telegraph pole to your home.   Virgin media use underground cables. 

wardi
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

@JohnSmith12345 .. i've had fibre installed very recently, In my case it was a two stage process.  The first Openreach crew ran a cable from a nearby telegraph pole to the outside of my office - it is preferable if someone is at home to point out where you want the connection to your house.  About a week later a second crew drilled a small hole into the office (again you would need to be home to allow access) and connected the router.  The Openreach people do all the connection & set up and do a check/speedtest.  Smooth as silk really.

pip11
Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

Thanks. Such a shame the useless EE staff in the shop couldn't just play that video.

pip11
Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

The EE staff may not be aware of it.