cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Invalid CTN

Southdowns
Investigator
Investigator

Hi, when I give my PAC code and old number to EE, using the 07********* format, they get an “invalid CTN” error. They say this means the pack code is valid, but the mobile number isn’t.

If they enter the number in the format 47*********, because the PAC was generated against +447*********, it is accepted, but the port fails.

EE have insisted the number being ported in must begin with 0, my old provider has insisted that’s not the case and that the number and PAC are both correct.

a Google search gives plenty of info re the correct PAC code format for porting, none about the correct number format for porting.

I'm now piggy in the middle, paying two bills. Both providers have opened cases, but continue to blame each other.

Any thoughts at all about how to move this forward would be very gratefully received.

14 REPLIES 14
XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

@Southdowns wrote:

my old provider has insisted that’s not the case

What do they say it could be?

All UK mobile nos. start 07. Are you trying to port a non-UK no, to a UK network? You can't do that.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks for that.

All they keep saying is they don’t choose the format, they simply pick the number from a list, and that it has always worked before!

No it’s not an overseas number, it a valid UK one.

@Southdowns ,I know you should not have to do this, but have you tried 00447….? Just out of interest instead of +447. It should have worked with 07, as @XRaySpeX say.

To contact EE customer service dial 150 from your mobile phone or ring customer service for free using Skype or another phone: +44 800 079 8586 or +44 800 956 6000.

Thanks, but I can’t even try that as the EE system will only accept 11 digits. That’s why they tried 47********* when 07********* gave “invalid CTN”.

Latest suggestion from EE is to try porting to a PAYG SIM from another provider, then if that works, from that to EE. As there’s no limit to the number of PAC codes I can request, there seems to be no reason not to give that a go, even though it shouldn’t be necessary.

@Southdowns , it does seem strange, that it has not worked for you, but what EE has suggested is at least worth a try and see if that sorts it out. Let us know how you get on and whether that has sorted it.

To contact EE customer service dial 150 from your mobile phone or ring customer service for free using Skype or another phone: +44 800 079 8586 or +44 800 956 6000.

'47*********' is a nonsense no. for a mobile no. You can't just truncate it.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Yep, agreed, but it was the only format in which it would go through without giving an “invalid CTN” error. In fact you’d expect that one WOULD give the error, and 07********* would be OK, but it was the other way around.

to be fair, although 47********* entered the porting queue correctly where 07********* did not, the agent was not at all confident the port would go through, and of course it didn’t.

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Southdowns,

I'm sorry to hear there has been an issue with your number port.

Please get in touch with Customer Care so a member of the team can check what has gone wrong.

Thanks

James

Yes I’ve already contacted CS, and while I was impressed that they took ownership, they haven’t been able to offer a solution yet, as your system only accepts 11 digits while the record held by the other network (Three), is in a 13 digit format.