cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Disgusting Price Increase!

Cookyweb
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I've just had the email that you are now cashing in on the cost of living crisis by smashing a massive 14.4 % increase on my bill.

Its absolutely disgusting, at a time when people are struggling to eat and heat their homes you decide to hit us with that ridiculous increase, not just a few % you up it by 14.4%

Its sick and I'll never be using EE again when this contract ends, I'll also be going out of my way to warn other people from using you, there's absolutely no justification in a hike like that, its pure greed and you should be ashamed.

You're a disgrace!

585 REPLIES 585

Me too, I'm leaving and taking my mobile business to Tesco. They don't increase mid term ever.

nuttyxander
Investigator
Investigator

Does EE give customers thirty days notice and the right to change to another provider penalty free when they increase prices?

@nuttyxander : No, cuz it's contractual as you agreed to when you signed up.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
14 day cooling off period in the same contract, though. Very tempting.
CraigG70
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I can't remember signing up to 10.5% inflation rises, in a cost of living crisis.

I mean, if inflation was at 20%, would you be saying the same to customers facing three-figure annual (£112 for me) rises ?

EE made over £2 billion quid in profits, last year. So, to be told I am facing over £54 per year rise, is pretty disgusting.

@CraigG70  on what planet did you dream up £2 billion profit.

nuttyxander
Investigator
Investigator

@Mustrum wrote:

@CraigG70  on what planet did you dream up £2 billion profit.

BT group "Reported profit before tax £2.0bn, up 9%, due to increased EBITDA offsetting higher finance expense" https://newsroom.bt.com/results-for-the-full-year-to-31-march-2022/

Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@CraigG70   you didn’t sign up to a 10.5% increase you signed up to a CPI+3.9% increase.  

@nuttyxander  So that is BT, not EE.

I actually went back to what EE sent me when I took out a contract last month, it illustrates the CPI increase as this:

"Example Calculation

If CPI were 2.4% (this is the average of all CPI figures 2019-2022 inclusive), the total price increase would be 6.3%. If your monthly plan price was £30/month, it would increase to £31.89 after that change. Out of bundle charges and add-ons would also increase by this rate, so in this example 6.3%. See our terms and conditions (https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/terms-and-conditions/home/home-network) and https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/billing-usage-and-top-up/price-increase/price-increase for more information."

Given that CPI hasn't been near the average for months - why are they sending customers such outdated information, and why is the illustrative increase on the page about CPI increases given as £1 a week? Customers do not pay weekly (unless EE is planning this as an option to increase affordability?) https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/billing-usage-and-top-up/price-increase/price-increase

Even if you think that this is fine because it's in the contract, you have to be kidding if you think this is well communicated. If you really want to defend EE, ask yourself how other customers will take to such a steep increase and if it means good things for the future of EE.

I would welcome EE to set out clearly their profit/loss and investment separate to the broader Consumer section of the EE accounts, when asking for an increase in charge. Then I'd know what I was paying for. But they do not do this.