cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received a call to offer discount

JumBug
Explorer

Hi I just got a call from a number claimiing they can half my bill for the rest of my contract. Apparently it's a discount EE is only offering 200 people and I happen to be one of them. She knew I was getting 40% discount already on my contract. Said she was going to put in an application and send me the details by post. Asked to confirm my address and when she asked for DoB I just knew this didn't seem right. Plus she was very pushy and won't answer my questions about what's the details of this promo, can I check the promo online or go into store to find out more about it. I just knew this wasn't right and ended the call. Anyone else had this

[Mod note : phone number removed as the post is publicly visible] 

33 REPLIES 33
FionaCL
Visitor

I got a call today with the same offer. The guy was calling from a scottish number but had an Indian accent and was very pushy - I hung up!

Given they had my number and knew which provider I am with, it sounds like there was a data breach and my number is available to scammers. I'm very unhappy about this and will consider changing numbers/ providers to avoid getting more of these calls.

Hey, I just received a similar call today. He actually sounded genuine, I found this page and ended the call after giving him my address and DOB, do I need to do anything? He wasn't asking for bank details.

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @demalcolm 

I'm sorry to hear that. I recommend speaking to our Mobile Care team so they can add some extra security to your account.

Chris

EEuser2007
Visitor

This happened to me today. Something seemed off and they asked for my e-mail address. I ended to call before they took it down. I think they were trying to send me a malicious link. 

They asked me the same, and when replied you must have my details already. She then was pushy saying its your email not your bank details! Hung up and tried to call the number back and it did not connect.

0204 5867742 reported to 7742 thanks for the info.

No breach as such, they can just try numbers and use a service like this to know what phone network you are on and pretend to be that provider: https://portal.aql.com/telecoms/network_lookup.php

I keep getting these and I ported my number from three nearly 8 years ago, but they phone up pretending to be three.

Your number and name may have been breached somewhere, but no reason to assume this is anything to do with the phone company.

Claire284
Visitor

Just received a call very similar to this number was 07700195150

scottie75
Investigator
Investigator

Just had a long call from "EE sales" - offering me 30% discount and free apple watch.

was concerned about the level of detail they we asking for but decided to humour the caller and see what was sent by email.

hung up once and he called on another number - persistent

Received email -  it looks scarily legit, though i haven't clicked any links.

please confirm sale@promotionsonline.co.uk is not from EE? 

@scottie75 : No, it's not from EE. EE's domain is ee.co.uk.

What no. was the call(s) from?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Firstly 020 8129 9405 and after I hung up, this one called 01444 390391