Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TRAVEL DATA PASS - BEWARE

mjrimell
Contributor
Contributor

Beware!!!!!

If you have applied for a Travel Data Pass, IT IS NOT FREE!!!

Until I applied for a travel data pass last year, when I travelled abroad I would receive a text asking me if I wanted to buy travel data at X per day.

I've just returned from the Caribbean and been hit with £167 of travel data charges. This Travel Data Pass (which is not free) IS A CON! 

At no point did I receive a message asking me if I wanted my Travel Data Pass activated. It was just left running in the background!

If you have signed up for this I suggest you cancel NOW! Otherwise you could end up with a massive bill at the end of your trip.

42 REPLIES 42

I don't possess that section but I see what you mean.

OK, the add-on itself is free but every day you use data (up to a limit) while abroad you are charged a flat fee. On the days you don't use data at all you are charged nowt. W/out the add-on you would not be able to use data at all.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

"W/out the add-on you would not be able to use data at all."

Read my thread XRAYSPECS....

You can and always have been able to use data because EE would text me and offer to sell me data the moment I landed. And, this is my point. I had the option then. With the FREE TRAVEL DATA ADD ON it's running in the background and charges you when you're roaming. You don't even get asked to activate when you arrive, it just automatically begins charging you, BY THE DAY!

It's misleading and should be detailed better on the website or removed!

I did! Of course, you can only use data with after you have bought an add-on.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

It's a free add on which isn't a free add on! 😂😂😂

My advice, don't sign up for the "free add on". Just wait for EE to text and ask if you want to buy data.

So, the bottom line response from EE is tough, you used the data so you pay for it!

Thanks EE 😡

mjrimell
Contributor
Contributor

Don't use the Travel Data Pass. You will not be told that yous are being connected and you will not be asked if you want to be connected. It runs in the background when you are not connected to the internet. Therefore if you use it for 5 minutes, you will pay for the whole day. 

I got home from holiday in Jamaica and was hit for about £200 of data that I wasn't even aware that I was using.

Don't use the Travel Data Pass. Get instead the Roam Further Pass for £10 pm to use your usual UK allowances there with up to 50 GB data per billing month if you have more. 

Thanks XraySpex

unfortunately too late for me unless EE are willing to compromise.

Not heard back from them yet.

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hello @mjrimell

Our customer care team can remove the pass from your account and can activate the Roam Further pass for you.

Katie 🙂

Thanks Katie

Will EE refund me for the data I wasn’t aware of, unannounced in the background that I was inadvertently using?

Kind regards
Michael