Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TRAVEL DATA PASS - BEWARE

mjrimell
Contributor
Contributor

Beware!!!!!

If you have applied for a Travel Data Pass, IT IS NOT FREE!!!

Until I applied for a travel data pass last year, when I travelled abroad I would receive a text asking me if I wanted to buy travel data at X per day.

I've just returned from the Caribbean and been hit with £167 of travel data charges. This Travel Data Pass (which is not free) IS A CON! 

At no point did I receive a message asking me if I wanted my Travel Data Pass activated. It was just left running in the background!

If you have signed up for this I suggest you cancel NOW! Otherwise you could end up with a massive bill at the end of your trip.

42 REPLIES 42
Gareth43
Problem solver
Problem solver

I’ve seen that pass but I always research before I add anything to my account as I don’t want unwanted charges. There is actually 2 travel data passes. They do charge ridiculous amounts for so little data. 

G Alston
iPhone 15 Pro Max
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi there @mjrimell

Thanks for coming here. 

Did you use data when you were abroad? 

Also, did you make or receive any calls and send texts? 

Thanks. 

Leanne.

Yep, wish I'd applied a bit more due diligence.

I'm fuming!

Encouraging customers to sign up for things that are free without making people aware of the potential charges is totally misleading!

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @mjrimell

You can find roaming charges on our Roaming Costs, Help page. 

If you would like to discuss this further please give us a call on 150.

Thanks. 

Leanne.

Leanne

With respect, you are missing the point. 

I signed up to this "free" service 6 months ago and completely forgot about until I just got April's bill from EE.

Prior to signing up for the "FREE TRAVEL DATA PASS" I would receive a text message from EE asking if I wanted to by Data.

Because I have a Jamaican mobile which I hotspot from and plus I have WIFI at home in Jamaica I paid no notice to the text messages that I was receiving from EE because I had no intention to buy any DATA.

At no time did EE message me to tell me that my "FREE TRAVEL PASS" had been activated and "YOU WILL NOW BE PAYING FOR DATA" and on a fixed daily fee I might add. Little did I know that when I went outside of a WIFI area or my JA mobile hotspot, that in the background I was being hit with a bill for £6.27 or £6.85 for DATA that I wasn't even asked if I wanted. It was just taken.

Totally misleading and should be either removed from the website or customers should be told in BIG RED LETTERS..... YOU WILL PAY FOR THIS!

Leanne

I have spoken to 2 different people today and been told that I have no option but to pay.

I told the last guy that, in my opinion, EE must remove the FREE TRAVEL DATA add on as it is totally misleading!

In the meantime I am unemployed as of a month ago and have to find £167 in additional charges which I was not expecting!

If I could move to another provider I would but I can't afford the cancellation charge!

The really sad thing about all this Leanne is that if I hadn't signed up for the FREE TRAVEL DATA add on, EE would have messaged me asking if I wanted to buy data, I would have said no and I wouldn't now have to pay the £167 in data that I didn't want and didn't know I was using!!!

But it isn't FREE; it's £6.85 /day as you say. Nowhere does EE imply it is FREE.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

"But it isn't FREE; it's £6.85 /day as you say. Nowhere does EE imply it is FREE."

I know it's not free XRAYSPEX! And yes EE do imply that it is FREE!

But you've missed my point. The way it is presented and managed is misleading.

Click on the link -  https://myaccount.ee.co.uk/app/benefits-landing#add-ons-section

It says..... TRAVEL DATA PASS - FREE