cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Latency EE 4G Broadband since a month ago.

Mick_R
Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

I have been with EE since around Feburary 2023 and it's been great until recently.

I used to play on my Xbox as did my son and we were getting around 45-50ms network latency (ping), now it is regularly around 300-400ms!

Since the 25th of January this year (which is also when work was done on our local mast) my pings have been horrendous. I've contacted EE numerous times. They changed my plan, sent me out a new sim card, etc etc but nothing has changed.

They did say they found something and changed the MHA and said the problem has now been fixed. Yet my problem remains unchanged. I have then called them quite a few time since only to be told they can't find a problem and it could be down to weather conditions or the infrastructure in the area.

Yet the weather conditions and infrastructure was fine for 8 months prior to this!

I have spoken to my two neighbours who live around 1/4 a mile from my location, who are also on EE 4G as we live in a rural area and there is no broadband or fibre available so the 4G internet is our only option. I asked them to do some ping tests and they also are experiencing the same issue, yet EE keep saying there's no problem.

My Xbox is connected to a gaming router via an Ethernet cable, a cable then runs from the Ethernet router which goes to my 4G Ethernet modem.

Everything works fine at 2AM in the morning! and the problems usually start to show around 6pm until 11pm on a weekday, and pretty much all day at the weekend. I've attached some pictures below of ping plotter, screenshots, etc.

laptop pingplotter 04/03/24laptop pingplotter 04/03/24laptop pingplotter 05/03/24laptop pingplotter 05/03/24XBOX ping 05/03/24XBOX ping 05/03/24Ethernet model SignalEthernet model SignalNeighbours ping also on EENeighbours ping also on EE

Other neighbour Mark who lives 1/4 mile awayOther neighbour Mark who lives 1/4 mile away

I had none of this prior to 25th of January when work was done on the tower. Everything was working great for 8 months prior to this.

This is getting so frustrating for me, as it just feels like I'm being fobbed off when clearly there is an issue.

Hopefully someone can help...

28 REPLIES 28
Mick_R
Investigator
Investigator

Speed test from Earlier today 3:52pm

speedtest1.png

Compared to later in the day...

speedtest2.pngspeedtest3.png

I asked one of my Neighbours to test his speed too.

MarkWhatsApp.jpg

So he is also still having the same problem.

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Mick_R,

Our Technical Support Team will be happy to take a detailed look at the network performance in your location if you get in touch on 07953 966 150.

James

Great Idea!  If only....

Screenshot_20240308-121211_Phone.jpgScreenshot_20240308-121221_Phone.jpg

I did have a problem in May of 2023, which did get sorted, but alas no luck with this one yet as you can see from the number of calls since the 31st of January as I left it a few days after opening a ticket on th 27th Jan. I have also reported this multiple times on the coverage checker page.

bristolian
Legend
Legend

I notice from your screenshots that VoLTE is not indicated next to your signal bars - is your phone with EE or another operator?

My phone is with another operator (Tesco mobile) which only provides 2G in the area, otherwise at this point I would be considering swapping providers to 02 if they supported 4G in the area.

I just checked the status page on the EE and now they are saying that there is no problems in the area yet again despite yesterday it saying that they were investigating.

not_again.png

Yet my ping plotter from today it starting to show a different story...
ping_plot_again.png

😢

Mick_R
Investigator
Investigator

Just got off the phone to EE yet again as the internet was pretty unusable.

Ping was over 1100ms!

Notice the MAX columnNotice the MAX column

Speed test was abysmal (I did these while on the phone to customer services).

speedtest8.pngspeedtest9.png

"network_type": "LTE_A",
"mcc": "234",
"mnc": "30",
"rssi": "63",
"rsrq": "-11.0",
"lte_rsrp": "-94",
"wan_lte_ca": "ca_activated",
"lte_ca_pcell_band": "3",
"lte_ca_pcell_bandwidth": "20.0",
"lte_ca_scell_band": "20",
"lte_ca_scell_bandwidth": "5.0",
"lte_ca_pcell_arfcn": "1617",
"lte_ca_scell_arfcn": "6225",
"Z_SINR": "23.2",
"Z_CELL_ID": "366",
"Z_eNB_id": "5079809",
"Z_rsrq": "-11.0",
"lte_ca_scell_info": "196,2,20,6225,5.0;"

I pulled the stats from the modem too as I was wondering if it's a signal problem (they say MHA was already replaced) or possibly some kind or routing or load balancing problem. I have a feeling it is the latter.

Mick_R
Investigator
Investigator

What an absolute joke this is....

what_a_joke.png

Really? If there is no problem then can you explain why we (including my neighbours) are having this EVERY DAY for the past MONTH!

2024-03-09_pingplot.png

What a shambles...

bristolian
Legend
Legend

What's the issue you've been reporting via the status tool?

You selected: Data > Slow internet speed > More than once > Outside

There aren't too many options. Either "Slow internet speed" or "can't connect to the internet".

Then "tell us more" where I tried all different kinds of things like pasting ping's, speed test result numbers etc etc etc

I selected outside because I'm "not on a train" and the router is situated in the window facing the tower which is visible via LOS.

Same as usual..Same as usual..

And we had a maximum ping of 1825ms!

I went to visit my neighbour around 8pm, and using my phone on his broadband I was getting speeds of 5.46mb with a 397ms ping.... He was saying that his TV was breaking up today too.

The best speed I've had on EE was 120MB (Usually they are around 70-80MB) and the ping used to be always around 40-50ms.

Is there no one higher up in EE that can look at this? Surely that can't just keep saying "There's no problem"

Do you have any suggestions?

Mick_R
Investigator
Investigator

I asked my wife to ask on the local community page if anyone else was having problems with 4G EE broadband in the area as I don't do social media.

She did get a couple of replies from different people in the area saying similar.

jacky_Fb.jpg

I had to search were Kirkhaugh was, seems to be on CELL 2 PCI 367

CELL ID  5079810

EARFCN 1617

Can someone at EE sort this out? or someone higher up look at this?

What can we do apart from keep reporting it and getting no-where?

HELP!