Did you mean: 

Huawei CPE Pro from the 5GEE Home Router

Tomtom2
Investigator
Investigator

Hello There 

Just received my Huawei CPE Pro from the 5GEE Home Router bundle

It is the Huawei H112 - B372 model

My issue is with this router now I cannot connect my switch  or even do some facetime and all the app for video call its says all the time connecting .. but nothing.

Just before I had the home broadband from Three, very slow speed, but at least I did not get any issue for all Video call or even connecting my switch.

Any idea of what could be the problem in the settings ?

Tried to take off the firewall, same issue

Tried to unblock the parental control from EE, same issue

Following that post : https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/4G-and-mobile-data/Torrent-issue-with-Huawei-5g-CPE-Pro/m-p/838918/hig...

I bet I could be the APN issue, but can't find where to change/ tweak it.

Thank you very much fr your help

74 REPLIES 74

@EssexBoyEE : It doesn't apply to network's custom firmware.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

@XRaySpeX this is my thinking and possible understanding as well, which begs the question after December, does the potential Customer knowingly or unknowingly buy an unlocked Device from the Network Supplier or Factory Unlocked Device direct from the Device Manafactures.

I found that I had to create a second profile in the network settings, with all the APN information copied over, and then the dropdown has both ipv4 and ipv4&ipv6 options.

I have the Huawei CPE Pro 2 and have the same issue as everyone else. The Huawei doesn't properly fall back to ipv4 connections. If I put the sim in my 5G mobile and use the wifi hotspot, I can connect to ipv4 and ipv6 addresses without issues. But in the Huawei, only ipv6 works, unless I manually change the network to use only ipv4.

To give IPv6 dual stack the best chance of working, IPv4 literals such as for DNS should not be used.

It seems really weird that a service provider would pick a device that seems to have such problems with IPv6 dual stack yet default the APN to dual stack.

Mobile phones likely do not have the same problem due to good support for 464XLAT and sane things to prevent misconfiguration. For example, my Android 10 mobile prevents me from entering an IPv4 literal for the DNS and forces a domain name to be entered which maintains compatibility with IPv6.

It's not clear to me what the point is of a dual stack APN configuration on the Huawei CPE Pro 2 or what the intended IPv6 transition mechanism is that they would expect seamless functionality.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6_transition_mechanism

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

I've tried just setting it to IPV4 - does not make much difference for me. Connection will die and the only way to get it back is to reboot the router. Complained to EE and they give me a discount on my monthly fee. So they have no fix and its definitely an issue with this specific router. I've used other routers at other sites on 4 and 5G and not had these issues.

I'd suspect a firmware update might fix this - but Huawei are not know for their ongoing support - so I doubt this will ever come. I'll stick with it until fibre to premise comes to us as its still 20x faster than our old vdsl connection. Rebooting the router is a relatively minor annoyance - although it would be nice if EE actually provided some support in the matter.

Hi guys,

Stumbled across this thread after getting frustrated with the Huawei CPE Pro 2. It is delivering decent speeds for the price I am paying but I am having one major issue and this has only just happened recently.

My issue is that the wif stays on, however, all my devices are "connected without internet" when they initially join the network. After a few minutes that then disappears, naturally I assume I have access to the internet however nothing works. So, I am connected but nothing is happening.

I have noticed that this occurs when I am not constantly using/connected to the wifi for example, I go to work in the morning, come back and this  issue occurs. When I am at home all day on the weekend I don't experience any drop outs at all. Now I remember a few times the AI app telling me to do a firmware update and I feel like this issue started occuring more so then (Version 10.0.5.13 H612SP5C1217).

I bought the router independantly to getting EE on a sim only basis. I used Ray's APN method to unlock all the hidden features to help with my connection to the PS4 however I factory reset the router when all my wifi connection issues started.

I am using a DECO M4 mesh system which works flawlessly when I'm in the home but as it's reliant on the 5g router, when I lose internet connectivity on the 5g router I also lose internet connectivity on the Mesh system.

I'm wondering with all these crappy issue's is it worth me putting the 5g router in 'bridge' mode and if so, what would the advantages or disadvantages be of doing this?

Sorry about the long post but I really need to get this sorted! I am locked to EE for atleast another 18 months!

mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @KamH ,

Bridge mode is not likely to help but may be worth trying for the purposes of debugging.

The stock firmware only seems to support IP passthrough but that's similar enough to bridge mode for current debugging. The router you use instead behind the CPE should in principle be properly firewalled but EE's mobile network should mean that attackers cannot hit you from outside anyway so there should be little danger.

The reason it's not likely to help is that most likely the issue is WAN-side and not LAN-side, and bridge or IP passthrough shouldn't do much to improve the connection issue although it probably does remove the CPE firewall. Historically, bridge mode has helped with some under-powered Virgin Media routers by moving the routing and switching off but those symptoms do not apply here and you observe activity helps maintain the connection instead of impacting it.

If the Huawei device remains in warranty, it may be worth considering its return as faulty as it should not be so unstable on the latest firmware. The nearest such symptoms I've see have been with Devolo devices which see such disconnection issues with power saving and sleep modes turned on. The Huawei doesn't seem to have such power saving modes or any options that I can see that would help get better stability.

I guess the proper play is to determine why internet access is lost, and this may be done by seeing if any relevant logs are accessible, or checking whether the router has entirely lost its connection with EE's network or whether it's connected to EE's network but has no IP address, or has an IP address but is not passing traffic/data.

Another play is to go for a cheap 4G LTE router as its stability in there almost certainly points to an issue (e.g. hardware or firmware) with the current router. You probably want to keep an eye on any relevant customer forums for that device as some firmware updates may cause problems which force the vendor to release a fix (I saw this with a Netgear MR1100).

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

Hi @mikeliuk

I'm wondering if my two routers (Huawei and Deco M4) are clashing with each other? I've noticed the Deco is on wireless router mode and has Access point functionality so are they both battling it out to be the wireless router? 

From my reading on Bridge mode it is to turn off the wireless function of the router and to turn it on to a modem so to speak? 

Do you think that might help? 

I've noticed a hidden function for "auto sleep on the router" and turned this off last night hoping my Huawei would be okay this morning. I'm at work right now and can't log in to any of my smart devices which means there is an Internet drop out at my home. 

I got my router from Europe so it would be a big pain to get it sent back they're and claim on the warranty. It's just really strange that i don't have a problem with the router when I'm at home and connected via phone or watching Netflix etc etc. But the minute i leave my doorbell and heating system functions are not working! 

Hi Guys,

Hoping you may be of assistance to me. I have posted about my issue on other groups and thought i would try it here too.

I have the Huawei on the latest firmware and the Deco m4.  

When I'm at home both routers seem to be working flawlessly, however when I'm not at home i can't connect to any of my home WiFi devices. When i come home to this and try to connect to either device it says "connected without Internet" then after a while i get connected with Internet but it is as if I'm not connected at all, Web pages don't load and i can't send IM messages. 

Both routers are in wireless router mode, I'm wondering if i need to change the Deco M4s to access point modes or put the Huawei in to bridge mode? 

Any help would be great. 

Hi Ray, thanks for the info. The options are hidden by EE, but you can unhide them using HTML in the element inspector in Firefox / Chrome etc 😛

I was wondering if it would be possible if you could share a screen shot of the menu items that you can see in APN management area? With your info hidden of course! As that could clue me in on how to unhide more of mine, not just the IP information 🙂

Thanks!