cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5GEE-wifi with mesh TP-link Deco X60

ns9021
Explorer

The 5G signal is strong but the small battery integrated version of the 5GEE Wifi hub is not powerful enough to cover the entire house.  So we bought the TP-Link Deco X60 to build a wifi mesh network. The X60 does not seem able to connect to the 5GEE? 

I have tested the LAN / ethernet port in the 5GEE by direct connection to a laptop and everything seems fine. But then, if I move the ethernet cable over to the X60, the green light on the X60 suggests everything is ok, but I receive no internet?  If I connect the laptop via ethernet cable directly to the second port on the X60, I am still unable to get any data packets sent through, even though the green light is showing all is well. What settings or blocks are happening on the 5GEE wifi that i need to change?

Anyone able to guide me to a solution ? 

7 REPLIES 7
James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @ns9021,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

I don't have any experience with that particular Mesh system. Have you tried reaching out to the manufacturer for support?

James

jwDave2
Investigator
Investigator

I have exactly the same issue with a 5GEE router and a Deco X50. Spent 2 hours on tech support with TP-Link and still no solution. Did you ever solve your problem?

I should add I also have a Three mobile router (which I try not to use as the signal is very flaky) but it connects via a TP-Link Router just fine…

ns9021
Explorer

ISSUE RESOLVED: Must return 5GEE wifi hub back to EE and replace with smart 5G hub.

Reply to James at Community Support Team: the Specific type of mesh is not relevant - all types are not compatible with the 5GEE wifi. I also tried to connect a simple ethernet switch (happened to be a TP-link) and this did not work either.

I had to go in person into the EE flagship store in Algate east - they simply said they do not deal with 5G hubs. But did help me get on a phone, and to help return the device and partially explain the reason of the issue.

There is a protocol issue with the 5GEE wifi - it does not use the same IP address system as a normal router - or something along these lines - which I do not full understand or care to dig deeper to resolve.

I am now very happy with the 5G Hub version and the mesh connected instantly with no drama

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for the update @ns9021 

I'm happy to hear you were able to get to the bottom of it.

James

jwDave2
Investigator
Investigator

Hi many thanks for this, I will take it up with EE. I have actually found a workaround but not sure how this will work out going forward. It is to create a new profile in the router and specify ‘IPv4 Only’ and set it as the default profile. The connection to my Deco is now fine but my security cameras occasionally loose connection, may or may not be repeated.

thanks again for your reply

jwDave2
Investigator
Investigator

‘related’ sorry for typo.