cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

14.4% price increase can I cancel my contract?

Mc992
Investigator
Investigator

According to the citizens advice they say the following

Your provider has to give you 30 days’ notice if they’re putting up the price of your contract. You have the legal right to cancel the contract within those 30 days without having to pay a fee. Contact the company and say you’re cancelling within the allowed 30 days’ notice of a price increase.”

Any legal people here can let me know if this means I can cancel my sim only contract?

thanks for your help 🙂

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mc992
Investigator
Investigator

Yea exactly! I took a SIM only deal and for some reason didn't realise it was a totally insaine 24 months! I was sold it over the phone in a blur and yes i didn't read the contact but still. I truly hate this company and the call and data service is terrible! Chances are i'll have to wait it out but i'll be leaving the second the contact expires!

View solution in original post

67 REPLIES 67
chistery
Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

You need to keep reading..

You won’t be able to cancel without a fee if either:

• you signed up to the contract before 23 January 2014, or
  • you were told at the start of the contract that the price would be going up, for example if you signed up for a 18 month contract but the first 3 months were at a discounted rate

It was in your contract that the price goes up annually. It's talked about everywhere every year.  Did you read the T&Cs you agreed to that said EE can do this? 

That extra information doesn’t mean I can’t cancel. The example is referring to an introductory discount that ends. anyone else who doesn’t work for EE able to shed some light here? 

Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@Mc992   you can get the answer by reading your contract. You don't say if this for a mobile or landline contract or when it was taken out, or indeed if you are now out of contract. 

In days gone by the info on you found from Citizens Advice was how things worked, more recent contracts state that they will put prices up annually. 

We can't know what you signed up for or when, but can say how things are at the moment.

Gareth43
Problem solver
Problem solver

Sorry to say but he is right, we was all told from start this could happen and we all signed to accept so only way to get out of Yre contract is to pay it up or wait till minimum term is up. 

G Alston
iPhone 15 Pro Max

Yes, it does!

@Mc992 wrote:

The example is referring to an introductory discount that ends.

An example is not a complete definition. It's just 1 example.

This price rise is contractual, which you agreed when you signed up.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Bit my contract say nothing about change to CPI plus 3.9% it's only say about 3.9%.

I signed my 19 months ago. I just cancel my contract today. Hopefully everyone who got the same situation as my do it the same. 

I would't say "we was all told from the start this could happen" - if by that this was a clause in a very long contract detail - it's a know fact that most people don't read or fully understand complex contracts. Are you saying when you signed up someone acctually sat you down and told you this?

Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@Mc992   if this was the first time it had happened I could perhaps understand, however 

anyone starting a new contract, or renewing an existing one, after 1 September 2020 will see their monthly bills go up by the Consumer Price Index (CPI) measure of inflation + 3.9% from 31 March 2021.

It's not like it is a surprise.

This is the way how you make the money. I remember when I start with EE 2016 the flagship phones costing max £48 now? Even a £100. 

My advice is DON'T take phone from EE just sim only or pay as you go and the the phone straight from manufacturer. Apple, Samsung, etc. Much, much.....much cheaper.