cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi issues with Smart Hub Plus

TuckerUK
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

So I've recently joined EE from BT on 30th October on the FF 900 all-rounder package. Long story short, I've added Smart Wi-Fi Plus was sent one disc and then got a second. Then added Wi-Fi enhancer. I was with BT for years but had FF installed in February this year. Old setup with BT smart hub 2 and 2 Wi-Fi discs and 900/110 package. Apart from the odd time, my kids moaned about the Wi-Fi upstairs while gaming etc. The experience with EE now is absolutely terrible on a daily basis. I thought the upgrade to Wi-Fi 6 and compatible smart Wi-Fi discs would be an upgrade from BT. The EE app is completely broken at times the Wi-Fi is shocking in the evening compared to the time with BT. I'm slowly losing the will to live with the kids moaning so much. Like I said compared to BT the first couple of weeks with EE has been a complete nightmare. If anyone can help on here as to what to try on my end I'll be very appreciative. I appreciate that upstairs is all over Wi-Fi and not using Ethernet is an issue. But sadly we rent our house so that's out of the question. 

Setup: downstairs my gaming PC, i7 12700k RTX 4070 32 GB RAM 2.5Gbps Ethernet port. My son's PS4 Pro on Ethernet is both hardwired. No issues before EE. 

Upstairs 2 smart Wi-Fi discs one in mine and the wife's bedroom and the other in our boy's bedroom. PS5 in our room and my 16-year-old’s gaming PC in the boys. PC specs. i5 12400F RTX 3060 16GB RAM 2.5Gbps Ethernet port. I've tried Wi-Fi and ethernet to my son's gaming PC from the disc. But I'm pulling my hair out. 

Someone please help me 😩

PS Just to add I’m getting issues now with lag (Fortnite) (Rocket League) that my kids play, and speeds in the evening. 900 before the kids get home from school to 150/200 in the evening on the 900 package. Never had this issue with BT yes I would lose some speed because multiple people are using the BB. But to only get 150/200 is terrible 

42 REPLIES 42
TuckerUK
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I haven’t got any old equipment anymore as sent back all the BT equipment in the post. I’ve factory reset the Smart Hub Plus and Wi-Fi extenders so many times over the past 2 weeks I’m losing my mind tbh doing it. It’s never showed up for me in the Hub UI. All in all my experience so far with EE has been very frustrating compared to BT. I’m gonna give CS a ring a see what they say over the phone again god help me 🤪

Eddy2760
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

Cool cool, 

instead of factory resetting the main hub just reboot the device from the main hub menu, just acts as a little refresh 👌 

with the hub and extenders, are they away from any sort of interface, like other electronically items etc, I know you may have already tried all these I’m just fishing lol. 

Is the speeds good from your extenders or are they dropping out but maintaining it’s a full signal, if so again move the extenders closer to the main hub, rest the both extenders and turn them off, take out the power and then plug and turn them on, wps button all of them till they connect and they go aqua, check though the hub manager again to see if they are shown👌
If yes turn them off and move them to desired location turn on and see if they auto connect to the main hub 

Eddy

Don't worry, your images were awaiting approval. I have now done so & they should appear soon.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

I have paired a WiFi Extender with the SH+ & placed it by a Smart TV. The TV is connected to the SH+'s SSID (the name of the WiFi Extender never appears) but would assume it's going thro' the WiFi Extender. The TV is running catch-up & so it is using WiFi.

Yet the no. of connected devices on the WiFi Extender is always 0:

Capture.JPG

Shouldn't it be 1 or could the TV be bypassing the nearby WiFi Extender? If so, how would I force it to use the WiFi Extender?

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Eddy2760
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

It could be that your TV may find the WiFi signal from SH+ is stronger and therefore connecting to that directly bypassing the extender, 🤷‍♂️

Eddy

@Eddy2760 : It could be but is it likely with the WiFi Extender 1 ft. away while the SH+ is about 25 ft. away? Anyway is it possible to force it to use the WiFi Extender?

Eddy2760
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

What’s the signal like without the extender ? 

Eddy

For your 2nd image, Advanced Wireless > WiFi Extenders, zoom OUT until you'll see what @bobpullen is getting at.

YouAreNumber6
Contributor
Contributor

Not really much help but I’m having similar issues with Smart Hub Plus.
I moved from BT - was on a 150Mbps connection with them, now on 900 with EE. The new Wi-Fi is terrible. Wired speed test confirms 900 to the router, but testing from around 10 feet away , with line of sight to the router and with a (WiFi 6) iPhone 14 shows it dropping to around 300! As for my office Mac on the first floor, it’s even less. 

At the moment I can feel no discernible difference with the new setup so am seriously considering using the 14 day cooling off period to go back to the BT setup, wait for the contract to expire and then see what’s around. One option I might suggest for you is powerline,  but you’d need to check speeds etc 

Oh and as for the EE app it’s atrocious. Randomly hangs, and parts of it don’t even work. BT app was much better.

TuckerUK
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@YouAreNumber6 Yep I feel you 100%. I had a EE engineer out today time slot between 10am and 12pm was here all 20 minutes. Was a nice enough bloke but sadly all he was concerned about was, I was getting 950Mbps/1Gbps what I’m paying for to the ONT/Router. Wasn’t really interested in helping to solve the issue over Wi-Fi and Ethernet in the evening with the Smart discs etc and came across as wanted to get out as soon as possible. Phoned up EE right afterwards he left and got an apology from the advisor saying that wasn’t the normal practice as they have 2 hours to try and fix the issues within the home. Another EE engineer booked for this Monday coming hopefully they can help with the atrocious EE Wi-Fi mesh system.