Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Costs of installing fibre broadband

Louise_W_515
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Hi

I made an enquiry to another provider and in their charges section they mention an amount of £200 in order to connect up a property which currently doesn't have a (fibre) broadband connection, Would it be similar with EE? If there were any difficulties would it be possible to cancel and switch to 5G mobile broadband via a hub? It's a 2nd floor flat that I'm moving to and in Glasgow City. The road has fibre broadband but the property doesn't appear to have any high speed connections.

Thanks for any relevant info
Louise

36 REPLIES 36

Why do you need fast BB? What you using it for? A single person in a flat? I bet you won't need much more than 20 Meg. I'm on the PC all day and I was on 20 Meg for years. You'll be throwing your money away! 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

*From 5th September 2023, the 'Stop Sell' means that BT Openreach will not accept new order requests for any broadband or PSTN services that use the old copper network. This includes ADSL, FTTC, ISDN and WLR lines."

?

I stream 4k stuff and run a combat flight simulator, amongst other things, and both recommend 50Mb or more. At the moment I have 132Mb download speeds.

Well, I think I may be sorted now. I spoke to someone at EE/BT and ordered a hybrid system. They are indeed only offering the 55-69Mb option - so the result via Edge was correct! I can probably manage with that speed and hopefully there will be a special offer to upgrade to full fibre at some point in the (distant) future. They are including a 4G Hub which I can optionally cancel at some point and it's only £7/month. I'll see what speed I can reliably get. The good thing is that the hub will be delivered tomorrow. Providing I can get up and running with it ok, at least I'll have an internet connection of some sort straightaway in the new flat. If that works I'll be able to give the requisite 30 day notice to cancel the Virgin Media. Since VM don't offer copper connections, that shouldn't be a problem - hopefully. Engineer visit will be on the 9th Sept. So not long to wait for that. I think I can breathe again now.

I also got a sim upgrade on my phone that will give me 5G and more data - for less than I've been paying!

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for coming back and letting us know @Louise_W_515 

I am really pleased to hear this and hope you have a lovely day 🙂

Leanne.

Hope it all goes well for you.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Louise_W_515
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Me too! What's the worst that could happen? At least if the 4G hub works ok, that will be good. Even if I decide to keep it, it works out cheaper than I pay VM at the moment (£48 p month). I think it's almost cheaper even if the mobile phone is included. I might miss the 125Mb a little - I think the 4G hub is capped at 100Mb.
Fingers crossed! 

Thanks

Louise