Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Costs of installing fibre broadband

Louise_W_515
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Hi

I made an enquiry to another provider and in their charges section they mention an amount of £200 in order to connect up a property which currently doesn't have a (fibre) broadband connection, Would it be similar with EE? If there were any difficulties would it be possible to cancel and switch to 5G mobile broadband via a hub? It's a 2nd floor flat that I'm moving to and in Glasgow City. The road has fibre broadband but the property doesn't appear to have any high speed connections.

Thanks for any relevant info
Louise

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Well, I think I may be sorted now. I spoke to someone at EE/BT and ordered a hybrid system. They are indeed only offering the 55-69Mb option - so the result via Edge was correct! I can probably manage with that speed and hopefully there will be a special offer to upgrade to full fibre at some point in the (distant) future. They are including a 4G Hub which I can optionally cancel at some point and it's only £7/month. I'll see what speed I can reliably get. The good thing is that the hub will be delivered tomorrow. Providing I can get up and running with it ok, at least I'll have an internet connection of some sort straightaway in the new flat. If that works I'll be able to give the requisite 30 day notice to cancel the Virgin Media. Since VM don't offer copper connections, that shouldn't be a problem - hopefully. Engineer visit will be on the 9th Sept. So not long to wait for that. I think I can breathe again now.

I also got a sim upgrade on my phone that will give me 5G and more data - for less than I've been paying!

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Are you asking about Full Fibre or Fibre over a landline?

What does BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number or you don't have one, use the Address Checker.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Louise_W_515
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Hi thanks. I'm looking at FTTC or FTTP. No landline. I know fibre is available in the road. I was asking about the cost of installing from the road - or from the nearest access point. Providers seem very opaque about this.

@Louise_W_515  if you enter some details in the EE Broadband link https://ee.co.uk/broadband   it will tell you what services they can offer, and any connection fee.

From what you have said though, it sounds that it is not Openreach fibre in the street, it may well be another supplier if you have been quoted £200 to get connected. EE only use the Openreach network.

For FTTC installation is currently free if there is fibre in your street but you don't have a landline to your property. Not sure about FTTP. The results from the link I gave will tell us.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Louise_W_515
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

That link keeps coming back with an error... Openreach says there is currently only Gfast (but that would be ok), with full fibre under construction. There is Virgin Media and City Fibre. It was City Fibre's provider Hyperoptic, that mentioned the £200 installation charge. In any case, whether it's full fibre, or not, the cable would have to find its way to the property somehow so I'm wondering how much that would cost.

It's all very confusing for me! At the same time EE 5G broadband appears to be available but it's not clear if it will be available to me indoors. However I've checked the 4G speed on my phone and got download speeds of up to 92Mb by the window.

My link or @Mustrum 's?

If my link says G.Fast is available then installation should be free.

@Louise_W_515   as above, which link?

Does the property have any telephone sockets? If so you already have a connection for FTTC/G Fast via that phone line,

If it is a new development, the develops may already have made provision for internet, so worth asking them or neighbours what they use.

Hi @Louise_W_515 

If you can get City Fibre then check out Giganet. I would 100% recommend them. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.
Louise_W_515
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

The ee broadband link was giving me an error - maybe because I had this community page open? I've been able to get to the deals but I get different results in different browsers! Edge limits me to 67Mb, Opera has a Fibre Max 100 146Mb option. Are they detecting my location? The installation is for a property I'm moving to. There is mention of "New line engineer charge of £50 applies" - does that cover the physical installation cost of laying the cable etc?

There are old telephone sockets in the flai but no connection, also an old adsl box - it's a 1980's building. The property is a sheltered accommodation one - so all old people... I'm trying to organise high speed internet access before I move in.

Thanks

Louise