cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect laptop to wireless connection on new EE Smarthub

stackrock
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I have just received a new EE Smarthub to replace the Brightbox I was previously using for my Broadband wireless internet connection.

I have set up the Smarthu, the light on the front is aqua. I can connect my mobile phone to the wireless connection no problem by using the password on the back of the hub.

However, when I try to connect my laptop by clicking on the available connection in the wireless network connection box , I get a message 'The network requires a network key (also called a wep key or wpa key). There are then two boxes, one for network key then another for confirm network key. I have tried putting in the same password which is on the back of the hub, but it won't connect.

The laptop was previously connected to the old Brightbox, but I can't remember whether I had this problem connecting to that. The laptop is an old Dell Latitude running on Windows XP.

What is this wep/wpa key I need to connect? I have tried another newer laptop running windows 7 home premium and this connects ok by just typing in the password on bak of hub, it's just this older laptop I am having problems with, yet it connected to the Brightbox.

Any help appreciated

32 REPLIES 32

Hello there,

I was reading this feed because we actually have a very similar problem. We used to have an EE BrightBox 1 and recently just got the EE Hub. We have an old Dell computer running Windows XP and it just wasn't wirelessly connecting to the Hub. We were about to get rid of the laptop, but then realized the other option is to just use an ethernet cable from the EE HUB to the laptop. The ethernet connection works perfectly with no setup required. And the added benefit is you get approx maximum internet speed that is received at the EE HUB location.

I know wired connection is not ideal, but at least it means you can still use internet on your old laptop with your EE HUB. Nowadays you can also purchase really long ethernet cables cheaply from Amazon or wherever.

Hope this helps!

@Matharu1 wrote:

I know wired connection is not ideal

Ethernet connections are perfect! It's WiFi than can be a bit flaky.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi @Matharu1 ,

I know what you mean by a wired connection not being ideal!

I would need to trail a wire up multiple floors to get to my router. Luckily I still have a very long Ethernet cable from my uni days before consumers even imagined there would be WiFi, can't do without WiFi now. 😂

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net