cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect laptop to wireless connection on new EE Smarthub

stackrock
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I have just received a new EE Smarthub to replace the Brightbox I was previously using for my Broadband wireless internet connection.

I have set up the Smarthu, the light on the front is aqua. I can connect my mobile phone to the wireless connection no problem by using the password on the back of the hub.

However, when I try to connect my laptop by clicking on the available connection in the wireless network connection box , I get a message 'The network requires a network key (also called a wep key or wpa key). There are then two boxes, one for network key then another for confirm network key. I have tried putting in the same password which is on the back of the hub, but it won't connect.

The laptop was previously connected to the old Brightbox, but I can't remember whether I had this problem connecting to that. The laptop is an old Dell Latitude running on Windows XP.

What is this wep/wpa key I need to connect? I have tried another newer laptop running windows 7 home premium and this connects ok by just typing in the password on bak of hub, it's just this older laptop I am having problems with, yet it connected to the Brightbox.

Any help appreciated

32 REPLIES 32

On the Wireless Settings page there is a button (near the top I think) to Separate the SSIDs (or some such name). Turn it ON. Does it now connect with your last Mode tried?

If so, go back to Mode 1 & work your way upwards.

@stackrock wrote:

Are the specs of this new smarthub different to the brightbox?

Not exactly but both are capable of accepting the WiFi standard of your lappy. I wouldn't be leading you thro' this if it were otherwise.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
stackrock
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Sorry for the deay in getting back to you. Only just got round to following those last instructions, still not working, not accepting the password to join the network.

Am I right in thinking I have to restart the hub when I make changes on the smart hub manager settings page?

Where exactly lies the problem? In laymans terms my laptop is asking for a wep/wpa key to connect to the network, is this key supposed to be the password on the back of the hub? ie: I do not require any other information?

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @stackrock

I recommend speaking to our Broadband Gurus, unless @XRaySpeX has any other advice.

Chris

@stackrock wrote:

Am I right in thinking I have to restart the hub when I make changes on the smart hub manager settings page?

No. When you make any change it tells you that you need to Save it. Did you follow that?

As I said any request for a key you see is for the WiFi password written on the router. As far as WiFi is concerned there is no diff between connecting your old Dell lappy & the new lappy and you used the WiFi pwd for the latter OK. So same pwd should work for the old Dell lappy.

I'm beginning to suspect the Dell's WiFi adapter is faulty. Do you still have the Brightbox 1 from before? Power that up, no need to connect to BB/phone socket. See if the old Dell lappy will still connect to its WiFi, remembering to use its WiFi pwd.

I can't see that the EE BB Team can tell you anything that we've not covered. Your BB & SH are all working OK; it's only this 1 old device that's playing up.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
stackrock
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@XRaySpeX wrote:

@stackrock wrote:

No. When you make any change it tells you that you need to Save it. Did you follow that?

As I said any request for a key you see is for the WiFi password written on the router. As far as WiFi is concerned there is no diff between connecting your old Dell lappy & the new lappy and you used the WiFi pwd for the latter OK. So same pwd should work for the old Dell lappy.

I'm beginning to suspect the Dell's WiFi adapter is faulty. Do you still have the Brightbox 1 from before? Power that up, no need to connect to BB/phone socket. See if the old Dell lappy will still connect to its WiFi, remembering to use its WiFi pwd.

I can't see that the EE BB Team can tell you anything that we've not covered. Your BB & SH are all working OK; it's only this 1 old device that's playing up.

Followed the instructions and saved it as you suggested.

Also, just took out the old Brightbox plugged it in and the laptop connected automatically to the wireless, so it can't be the adapter.

I'm sorry I'm working away so only getting home once a week to try to fix this, hence the delay in getting back to you. Running out of ideas now, anything else I could try?

Looking at the Wireless Settings page, could you have put or it set a different pwd for the 2.4 GHz band from the 5 GHz band?

stackrock
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

The wireless settings page shows the security password as the same as is on the back of the hub. I have not changed anything.

Did you check that the pwd was the same both for the 2.4 GHz band and the 5 GHz band?

Can you connect the new Win 7 lappy to the 2.4 GHz band network? Same pwd as ever! Up to now it's probably been connecting to the 5 Ghz band, the 1 starting "5GHz-".

stackrock
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@XRaySpeX wrote:

Did you check that the pwd was the same both for the 2.4 GHz band and the 5 GHz band?

Can you connect the new Win 7 lappy to the 2.4 GHz band network? Same pwd as ever! Up to now it's probably been connecting to the 5 Ghz band, the 1 starting "5GHz-".

I'm about today, how do I check the passwords are the same?

I do not have the windows 7 laptop with me today, it wasn't mine, I just borrowed it from someone to try to connect it,  how do I know which GHz band I am using?

I am thinking, can I just keep using the Brightbox and then when I get a new laptop or whatever start using the smart hub?

On the Wireless Setting page there should be 2 pwds shown, each under the 2.4 & 5 GHz sections.

The 5GHz network name starts with "5GHz-"; the 2.4 GHz one doesn't.

The Brightbox 1 is for ADSL BB only, not for Fibre. That's why they sent you an EE SH.