cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect laptop to wireless connection on new EE Smarthub

stackrock
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I have just received a new EE Smarthub to replace the Brightbox I was previously using for my Broadband wireless internet connection.

I have set up the Smarthu, the light on the front is aqua. I can connect my mobile phone to the wireless connection no problem by using the password on the back of the hub.

However, when I try to connect my laptop by clicking on the available connection in the wireless network connection box , I get a message 'The network requires a network key (also called a wep key or wpa key). There are then two boxes, one for network key then another for confirm network key. I have tried putting in the same password which is on the back of the hub, but it won't connect.

The laptop was previously connected to the old Brightbox, but I can't remember whether I had this problem connecting to that. The laptop is an old Dell Latitude running on Windows XP.

What is this wep/wpa key I need to connect? I have tried another newer laptop running windows 7 home premium and this connects ok by just typing in the password on bak of hub, it's just this older laptop I am having problems with, yet it connected to the Brightbox.

Any help appreciated

32 REPLIES 32

Wow, that adapter is of a low/old spec, circa 1999:

Intel® PRO/Wireless 2100A LAN MiniPCI Adapter Type 3B Type 3B MiniPCI 

Key Features: 􀂃 802.11a/b dual band (5 GHz and 2.4 GHz) supported 􀂃 Up to 54 Mbps at 5 GHz, and up to 11 Mbps at 2.4 GHz 􀂃 IEEE 802.11a/b standard technology

The 3A may be of slightly lower spec, like not having 802.11a 5 GHz band but I can't find its exact spec. 

Change the Wireless Mode of the EE SH from 1 to 2. That'll fix it but will degrade any other devices with an 802.11ac spec.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
stackrock
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@XRaySpeX wrote:

Wow, that adapter is of a low/old spec, circa 1999:

Intel® PRO/Wireless 2100A LAN MiniPCI Adapter Type 3B Type 3B MiniPCI 

Key Features: 􀂃 802.11a/b dual band (5 GHz and 2.4 GHz) supported 􀂃 Up to 54 Mbps at 5 GHz, and up to 11 Mbps at 2.4 GHz 􀂃 IEEE 802.11a/b standard technology

Change the Wireless Mode of the EE SH from 1 to 2. That'll fix it but will degrade any other devices with an 802.11ac spec.

Ok, Do I do that by using my ethernet cable and going to the smarthub settings page online?

Yes, either from the old lappy by Ethernet as it can't yet use WiFi or from the new lappy using WiFi. Go to Advanced Settings / Wireless.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
stackrock
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@XRaySpeX wrote:

Yes, either from the old lappy by Ethernet as it can't yet use WiFi or from the new lappy using WiFi. Go to Advanced Settings / Wireless.

Ok Thanks! I will try that and report back later.

stackrock
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

When I change this setting, does that mean it won't ask for the wpa/wep key when attempting to connect to the wi-fi? if it does, should the password on the hub work ok?

The Mode has nowt to do with asking for a pwd. The Mode change is only so it can work for your low spec lappy. Networks always ask for pwds (if they have 1 which is insecure not to) the 1st time a device successfully connects to them & they should be remembered by the device subsequently.

stackrock
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@XRaySpeX wrote:

The Mode has nowt to do with asking for a pwd. The Mode change is only so it can work for your low spec lappy. Networks always ask for pwds (if they have 1 which is insecure not to) the 1st time a device successfully connects to them & they should be remembered by the device subsequently.

Sorry, my post should have read 'will I still get asked for the wpa/wep key to connect to the hub?

stackrock
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I have changed to mode 2 using the EE Smart Hub Manager, but same again, when I try to connect to the wireless network, I am asked for a wpa/wpe key. I type in the password on the back of the hub, but it won't connect

Try Mode 3 then. It will keep asking for the pwd until you successfully connect.

You are supplying the WiFi pwd, not the admin pwd, just the same as you did with the new lappy?

stackrock
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@XRaySpeX wrote:

Try Mode 3 then. It will keep asking for the pwd until you successfully connect.

You are supplying the WiFi pwd, not the admin pwd, just the same as you did with the new lappy?

Losing the will to live now. I have tried mode 3 but to no avail, same result. Yes I am trying the same password on the back of the hub I used to connect my phone.

Is it possible the wireless card in this old laptop just isn't compatible with the new smarthub? Are the specs of this new smarthub different to the brightbox?