cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT smart Wi-Fi disc with EE router

DanHeenan
Explorer

Can you use a BT smart Wi-Fi disc with a EE router and if so how do you connect it as I have tried everything I can think of to connect the disc but nothing seems to work

15 REPLIES 15
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@DanHeenan  No your can’t. You have to use the EE smart disk but only if you have the EE smart router ( it’s white) 

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, you may use the BT Whole Home Wi-Fi Discs with any router. lt's 'tother way round you can't do; use EE's Smart WiFi discs with any router other than EE's Smart Router.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@DanHeenan   Alas the answer is not simple and does depend on which discs you have. (Black or white to start with)  It would also help to know which EE Router you have.

Having seen a similar enquiry earlier this evening, I wonder if @bobpullen  is able to help once you have clarified which discs/router you have, and if you still have the BT Router - which one?

bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

@DanHeenan - The 'high street' BT Whole Home Wi-Fi discs can be used with any router.

The black BT Complete Wi-Fi discs cannot be used with any router other than a BT Smarthub 2.

Likewise the white EE Smart Wi-Fi discs cannot be used with any router other than an EE Smart Router.

Others may be better versed, but I think a BT Smarthub 2 can probably be used on an EE line. If you still have it, and you can get it working, then the black Complete Wi-Fi discs will be able to communicate with the Smarthub 2 as they always have done.

Hope that helps clarify the situation.

DanHeenan
Explorer

C2AB1219-ACEA-4229-9B3F-E03206513916.jpeg

EADDC07D-99E4-4A56-A8E1-4EB9C2DC7AF5.jpeg

I have the white BT smart Wi-Fi disc and I don’t know what model of EE router I have but I attach photos if that helps. now the BT disc does work when connected to the router with Ethernet but as soon as I disconnect the Ethernet it stops working and I need it to work wirelessly.

If anyone has any solutions it would be greatly appreciated 

The router is the EE Smart Router.

The disc would seem to be the white 'high street' BT Whole Home Wi-Fi disc from @bobpullen's description & so should work with each other, setting up as per BT Whole Home Wi-Fi FAQs - Set-up and installation. For 1 variant of which, the Premium, your first disc must be connected to the router using an Ethernet cable, which seems to be the way yours is behaving.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

@DanHeenan   Have you tried using the EE home app to set this up ?  

That won't work. These are not EE discs.

pip11
Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

He can download the BT App from the app store for his phone.