cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Smart Hub 2 verses EE Smart Hub Plus

Gary019
Investigator
Investigator

My BT SH2 restarts itself every 2 weeks with a reason of SAAF. It appears to be self-initiated rather than as a result of a command from the Network Management System. These Restarts can be any time night or day. I have raised both a fault and complaint regarding this issue but am going round in circles.  It is wasting Openreach Engineer’s time, as it is simply being re-assigned it to new engineers. Each time they admit that there is nothing wrong with either my SH2 or Broadband Connection and is not something they can suggest a resolution for. I have submitted the evidence I have found within my SH2 Logs and 2 others including a new SH2 that BT insisted I installed. Other people have also reported this in the BT Forum

Despite it being escalated to the BT Executive Complaints department they have drawn a blank and claimed we have reached an impasse. They are basically saying that they do not accept there is problem. They say my only course of action is to take it to the Ombudsman.

Before I consider doing that or moving to an EE Smart Hub Plus has anyone observed the same behaviour on the EE Smart Hub Plus.? My belief is that it is the same underlying hardware/system and so the 'Issue' may be happening with that Hub.

15 REPLIES 15
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

There is no EE Smart Hub 2. Do you mean the white EE Smart Router or the black EE Smart Hub Plus? 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Gary019
Investigator
Investigator

Sorry my mistake, the EE Smart Hub Plus.

They are not the same. For starters the EE SH+ is WiFi-6 while the BT SH2 is WiFi-5.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Gary019
Investigator
Investigator

So is the EE Smart Hub (2023) , which is Wi-Fi 5, the model that is more likely to have similar hardware/firmware as the BT SH2?

Possibly.

Not many users have posted about it. Think it had a short lifespan. 

Gary019
Investigator
Investigator

In that case has anyone who is running with an EE Smart Hub (2023) noticed it behaving in the same way, namely restarting itself every 2 weeks? If the System Uptime is consistently greater that 14 days then it is not suffering the same Issue. If it is  less than that then looking at the Event Log will confirm if the Hub is being Restarted every 2 weeks. 

I see little point migrating to an EE Smart Hub for it only to perform in exactly the same way.. Their is a good chance that the EE Smart Hub Plus is less likely to have the same problem, as it would appear to be based on different hardware, but apparently getting hold of one of these when moving to and EE package is not guaranteed.

If you did migrate to EE New BB you are very unlikely to be given the SH 2023. 

Gary019
Investigator
Investigator

Unfortunately the Thread 'Waiting for smart hub plus' would suggest otherwise, however I will make some enquiries.

@Gary019  BT based routers have done the 14 day reboot themselves for years, I believe it is part of their routine to ensure firmware is up to date and  or stop connected devices getting "stuck". I don't have the latest EE router, but see no reason why their designers would change things now.

What problems is it causing you?

An easy option to get round it is to use your own non BT designed/supplied router..