cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Using existing 4G wifi broadband with a mobile phone

UFONED
Investigator
Investigator

Hi, I hope I put the subject words correctly to explain what is needed.  At the moment we have a 4GEE Home Router 1m 200GB.  We have room if needed to use data from this to have a phone attached for just a home phone use.  Is there such a phone that could be used with my existing plan.  We rarely use our mobile phones, as they are there for emergencies only.  We are paying £40 for this contract, and then on top of this, we are paying another company £26 landline.  We live at the end of a phone line which is down a track and is a very rural location.  When we moved here we had all sorts of problems trying to sort out why we couldn't have broadband through the landline.  In the end, BT stated that they won't do any more to the line and that it would only be useful for telephones.  Which is we had to go to 4G home broadband. £66 a month for phone services and broadband is a lot of money, especially on a pension.  We have an excellent Panasonic phone system, which works well and don't really want to chuck them into a landfill (will obviously try to recycle if poss). 

We are not interested in having a phone with us at all times, home phone is fine by me. We don't text much and the internet is at home, on all our devices.  These are trying times and money is tight.  We are just trying to maximise our money to the best advantage and cost-cutting when we can.

6 REPLIES 6
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

As I understand it you want to switch from a fixed landline phone to a phone connected via your mobile BB router. For that you would need to get a VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) phone. You should be able to convert your existing handsets to VoIP with a VoIP Adapter. You will need to sign up with a VoIP provider to route the calls. 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

@XRaySpeX just thinking out loud but wouldn't the VoIP Supplier expect to see a Fixed IP Address at the Customer End which the 4GEE Router won't be?

@EssexBoyEE : Why would they? Other users of EE BB. fixed & mobile, seem to be using VoIP.

I expect the VoIP h/ware (base station) would be running a VoIP server & client and that the user would need to open some ports for the server.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thank you for adding more information for me to ponder over and get further details on

Great, thank you so much for adding more information for me to ponder over 🤔 and get further details on.  I will post here about costs on those details if I go ahead.

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance