cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Signal fluctuation from smart hub

Wynman
Visitor

I have fibre broadband, smart router with two disks. Problem is my signal fluctuates heavily even though I am close to the disk. What can cause the interference? How can I get a steady signal for my laptop?

2 REPLIES 2
Mustrum
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

You could download a signal analyser such as inSSIDer to try and see if there is anything else broadcasting in the area.

mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @Wynman ,

When the fluctuations cause a low signal, do fast.com and speedtest.net show poorer performance compared to when a high signal is seen?

If there is no noticeable effect (e.g. the above or latency), it may be a non-issue.

I guess it's likely the disks form a mesh network or just act as repeaters so their signals overlay onto the smart hub WiFi signals. I would guess the SSIDs are all identical (or just one repeated) so you might just be seeing the multiple devices switching places when ordered by strongest signal (or a repeater hiccup). A WiFi analyzer app can be used to check for multiple devices broadcasting the same SSID which your device may float between.

My money's on non-issue. Good luck! 🤓

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net