cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Mi Fi box

DavidSK
Investigator
Investigator

Hi i have purchased a mifi box and the wifi connection is erratic, it works fine then just drops the signal, then it works again. is the a wifi booster i can join up to my mifi to stabilise connectivity

5 REPLIES 5
Chris_B
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

@DavidSK   When in the same room as the WiFi box do you have this issue?   

mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @DavidSK ,

In addition to the above, have you been able to determine whether it is your device (e.g. laptop) which loses its WiFi connection to the Mifi, or whether your device stays connected by Wifi but the Mifi loses its internet access?

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

My laptop loses signal but i am not sure if the mifi box does as well, i am a bit of a novice.i click on the wifi icon on my laptop and ask it to reconnect

the laptop and mifi box are on the table together and they frequently disconnect

Windows 10 will sometimes disconnect from a WiFi access point if it finds that internet access is not present or drops. This can be prevented if you catch the remain-connected dialog box.

It's also worth trusting the network and turning off random MAC to give the best chance of rapid reconnections. Typically if the connection is dropped, it should try to re-establish and usually succeeds quite quickly. You can turn WiFi off for a few seconds and back on again to try to get it to behave. I sometimes find I need to reboot the laptop if it fails to reconnect to WiFi when I know the access point is fine.

Some mobile router devices allow direct usb tethering to a laptop (others by RJ45 Cat5/6 cable). This would be the best way to rule out the mobile router dropping its internet connection and point a finger at the WiFi access point functionality.

The best way to confirm a fault is to reproduce it with another device such as a mobile phone. If the WiFi connection to both laptop and phone drop at the same time and both have trouble reconnecting, it would be good evidence of a fault.

Lots of other ways to go about things such as moving SIM to a phone and tethering from there to see if connection is stable (points the finger at Mifi if yes). If you are within the warranty period with the service provider, it would be worth gathering evidence of a fault with a view to returning the device for professional fault finding. I'm unsure whether any replacement device would be provided while that takes place so it could be very inconvenient.

I guess as a sanity check, you could move the devices further apart. I have a Roku streaming stick 25 cm from a Devolo access point so proximity should be no problem but I can imagine few users have their device so near the access point (so less well tested and higher chance of weird things).

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net