cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Slow Upload Speed

yorksfttc
Investigator
Investigator

Hey,

First time posting here, but thought I would ask if anyone could suggest why I'm getting considerably slower upload speed than my IP profile is set at..... when I'm just about maxing out my download speed.

I'm on an 80/20 FTTC connection and as of this morning am getting over 70Mbps download but upload speed will not go any higher than around 9.5.

To give you a bit of history, we were having repeated dropouts, where the line lost sync and had to reconnect. We had 2 visits from openreach, one found a faulty cable on the pole and the last one fixed an issue at a junction box in the road.

Both engineers have been great and I know the last engineer who visited also did a quiet line test. Following the last engineer visit we had no drop outs for 10 days. Then they came back again, roughly 2 each day. EE then sent out a new Smart Hub to see if that was the problem, which is what the following stats are taken off.

Okay onto the stats.

Product name:Smart Hub

Firmware version:v0.06.01.08190-EE

Firmware updated:Tue Nov 30 00:54:12 2021

Board version:01

DSL uptime:2 Days, 8 Hours, 52 Mins, 4 Secs

Data rate:9.24 Mbps / 80.00 Mbps

Maximum data rate:9.24 Mbps / 90.57 Mbps

Noise margin (up/down):6.2 / 8.6

Line attenuation (up/down):23.2 / 17.0

Signal attenuation (up/down):23.2 / 17.0

Data sent / received:3.0 GB / 11.2 GB

2.4 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel 1)

5 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel 48)

Wireless security:WPA2

Wireless mode:Mode 1

Firewall:Default

Software variant:-

Boot loader: 0.0.3-EE (Mon Dec 4 17:32:53 2017)

Speed test link

BT estimation of line.

Telephone Number  ** on Exchange ** is served by Cabinet 2

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate (Mbps)Downstream Handback
Threshold(Mbps)WBC FTTC Availability DateWBC SOGEA Availability DateLeft in JumperHighLowHighLow       VDSL Range A (Clean)

VDSL Range B (Impacted)

Available

Available

--

Available

Available

--

BT Speedtest

Download Test
Download speed achieved during the test was 73.74 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 40-77.34 Mbps
Your DSL Connection Rate: 0 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM),0 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
For your connection, the maximum achievable download speed is 77.34 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 77.34 Mbps
Upload Test
Upload speed achieved during the test was 9.40 Mbps
For your connection, the maximum achievable upload speed is 20 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 20 Mbps

If anyone can suggest why the upload won't sync any higher than around 9.5Mbps when the Download speed is just about maxing out the connection, that would be great 🙂

Thanks in advance 🙂

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You will have to speak to the Broadband Customer Support Team - certainly other ISP's can request a DLM reset given the right conditions, unlike other ISP's the function is not available via the forum.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

You can't go by the IPP. It's the same, 20 Meg, for everyone on 80/20 VDSL, regardless of the actual speed..

Please post the rest of the BT Checker table below the "VDSL Range A (Clean)".

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks for getting back to us so quickly, much appreciated.

Heres is all the BT Checker as requested.

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream HandbackThreshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date Left in JumperHigh Low High Low        VDSL Range A (Clean)

VDSL Range B (Impacted)

7756.22015.849AvailableAvailable--
74.951.22014.244AvailableAvailable--
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install ProcessFTTP on Demand
33050--Available--
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) ADSL Availability Date Left in JumperWBC ADSL 2+WBC ADSL2+ Annex MADSL MaxWBC Fixed RateFixed Rate
Up to 7--4.5 to 11.5Available--
Up to 7Up to 14.5 to 11.5Available--
Up to 5.5--4 to 8Available--
2----Available--
2----Available--
SOADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) WBC SOADSL Availability Date Left in JumperWBC SOADSL 2+SOADSL MaxSOADSL Fixed Rate
Up to 7--4.5 to 11.5----
Up to 5.5--4.5 to 11.5----
Up to 2--4 to 8----
Observed Speeds VDSLMax Observed Downstream SpeedMax Observed Upstream SpeedObserved Date
2021-12-07
Other Offerings Availability DateVDSL MulticastADSL Multicast
Available
Available
Premise Environment StatusBridge TapVRINTE FacePlateLast Test Date
N
N
N
03-12-2021
Exchange Product Restrictions StatusFTTP Priority ExchangeWLR WithdrawalSOADSL Restriction
N
N
Y

The exchange is not in a current fibre priority programme

WLR is currently available at the exchange

SOADSL is restricted at the exchange

FTTP is not available.

Actual speeds experienced by end users and quoted by CPs will be lower due to a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 2 Aug 2017.

If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

Thanks for your advice 🙂

Hello again,

Just wondered if anyone had anymore ideas as to why I'm getting such a fast download speed (nearly 75Mbs today) and yet Upload will not go above 8.5 sustained.

I'm wondering if and how I should request a remote DLM reset as a possible solution... does anyone know how I get ee customer serivce to do that?

Thanks for your advice.

Hi, I wonder if @Jon_K from the ee community support team could look at possibly requesting a DLM profile reset for my FTTC connection. I only ask as I notice from a previous post they have helped another customer with a similar problem.

Many thanks in advance 🙂

OR will only perform a DLM reset after a eng. has been out & fixed an underlying fault.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Yes we had the eng. out for a fault back in early November 2021, so since that fault was resolved can I now request a DLM reset. Interestingly the download sync has gone up to maximum since then.... but the upload speed has remained the same.

Also I thought ee now had the capability to do this remotely? I can see other providers (on other forums) that use the openreach network are able to do this, without having to ask Openreach.

Is this something ee doesn't offer?

Thanks for your advice 🙂

You will have to speak to the Broadband Customer Support Team - certainly other ISP's can request a DLM reset given the right conditions, unlike other ISP's the function is not available via the forum.

Thank you, I will give them a call 🙂

Didn't realise this couldn't be requested on the forum.

Thanks again to yourself and the XRaySpeX for previously checking out my line stats.

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @yorksfttc

Thanks for coming to the community. 

Let us know how you get on after you speak to our Broadband Tech team 🙂

Leanne.