cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

BT to EE Broadband migration - own router - suspiciously easy :)

charleshking
Contributor
Contributor

Afternoon all - this is mostly feedback, in case it's useful for anyone searching on the topic, but there's a couple of questions at the end.

Yesterday was my 'changeover day' from a BT Fibre 1 to EE Fibre Plus Broadband without landline.

My plan was to use the disruption to swap from having a supplier hub to having my own, an Asus RT-AC5300 (running AsusWRT-Merlin, for those of you interested).

In advance, therefore, I swapped out my BT Homehub 5 for a second-hand Openreach Modem (BT Openreach Huawei EchoLife HG612 3B FTTC VDSL Fibre Modem), and the Asus RT-AC5300 (which doesn't have its own modem).  BT's help pages are fine for documenting the setup of one's own router.  All went well, and I was able to set up wifi, configure the router, and backup the settings without hassle.

EE's help pages for setting up one's own router and determining the broadband username and password are also fine.

I wanted to avoid having to disconnect my setup and fire up the hub just to establish my broadband username, so I phoned 150.  They were very helpful, and I got the details I needed without difficulty.

Comparing both sets of 'own router setup' instructions, it seemed clear that the only difference in my router's config was going to be the broadband username and password.  Straightforward enough.

Yesterday, I had the email notice from BT that my services were ending and the notice from EE that my Fibre Broadband services were up and running and ready for use.

Weirdly, though, nothing happened.  

I had to be away for most of yesterday, but those at home noticed no interruption in broadband.  Nobody updated the router parameters, nothing got rebooted, and our access continued uninterrupted.

This morning, really early - anticipating some hiccoughs - I set about inputting the new parameters into the router admin page, fully expecting a rejection (not least because I could well have mistyped the login details dictated over the phone). 

Backup settings file to hand.  Both supplier's own hubs to hand.  Rebooted the router.

Nothing continued to happen - it rebooted fine, connected promptly, internet resumed as it always had.

Only difference was running an Ookla speed test now confirmed my point of origination to be EE.  Ping 12ms, Down 63Mb/s, Up 1.1Mb/s well within estimated speeds in my account page.

That seems too simple.  Must be a trap, right?

When I've done this kind of thing in the past, generally I have to spend at least one day on the phone to tech support, getting increasingly frustrated.  Have I missed something?

Now to the question: I have a vague impression that I had faster upload with BT, but it's only a vague impression ... does 1.1Mb/s seem sane (within the limits of 'how long is a piece of string)

2 REPLIES 2
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

No surprise really! It's all the same BB infrastructure. Just the BB Username & pwd changes. 

Your upload speed does seem low. 

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats:

• For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.
  • For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings/ Technical Log/ Information. Obscure your names & any numbers in the BB Username & also the SSIDs.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

3. What does BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number or you don't have one, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thank you - I'll run the tests below when I've got a decent chunk of time - so I can start with just the EE Wireless Router and one cabled client... and work back from there.

It turns out the plot thickens. 

I suspect that the issue is somewhere inside my network - the router itself, and some phones are reporting a steady 15-16Mbps upload speed, whereas cabled and wifi computer clients are reporting anything between 1 and 4 Mbps.

I'll spend some time trying to figure out what connections they're on (2.4Ghz vs 5Ghz vs LAN), and whether there's anything odd going on in QoS settings...